Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

hsleeming

Reaction score
I have a submersible 1hp pump, 6inch casing, the pump is 240 feet down. Galvanized steel pipe up through a pitless adapter to 1inch black poly. This line goes about 100 feet to the garage into pres switch/Challenger press tank. From there to the cut off valve to the rest of the house. A pretty standard system. Running 50 to 70 lbs cut on/cut off. 4 year old well.

About a month ago, I noticed a light thump on pump shutdown. It has gotten significantly louder until now it is a loud, echoing thump when the pump shuts down. I can't imagine I wont have some pipe damage eventually from this extremely loud, violent sounding thumping.

I checked the press tank by draining the system and verifying air pressure still in the tank when the system is empty. It still holds air at 2lbs below cut in, no leaks. Bladder seems to be working just fine. Nothing added or changed to system.

I drained the entire house (just to try it) and vented the system entirely, refilled and the noise was there just as it was before.

I pulled the cap off the standpipe and looked down the casing today. I could see the galvanized pipe vibrate back and forth when the pump shut down. (a lot)

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks