Ejector Pump and Sump pump mixing

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank ZZZZZ

Reaction score
Hi,

We recently added a bathroom in the basement of our house. The bathroom has a toilet, wash basin and shower. We had a plumbing company install a new pit, which houses an ejector pump.
About 12' to 14" away from the newly installed pit, we have our rain water pit which collects and ejects rain water using a standard sump pump. After I installed the toilet, I discovered that water from the toilet is seeping into the rain water pit. I put food dye in the toilet and the color appeared in the rain water pit. the toilet has never been used, only tested for leakage, but I'm afraid the toilet refuse will seep into the rain pit and smell. Is this normal or should I call back the plumbers.

Thank You,

Frank

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I would sure call 'em back! I installed a self-fabricated sewage sump pit in our basement some time ago, and one of my biggest concerns was that the black water not leak into the ground under the floor and eventually make the entire basement quite odoriferous.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You got big problems in little china.

Sounds like when they installed the sewage ejector pit they either disconnected a sanitary pipe or maybe made a faulty connection into the side of the sewage ejector pit. It is usually a rubber spud connection that is difficult to get in sometimes.

That situation is what contaminates the ground water........even though clay and cast-iron drain systems have been doing that for years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ejector

The ejector system has to be a closed system, so if it is leaking, either the tank has been damaged or there is improper piping connected to it. How deep was the water in the ejector pit when you added the dye?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks