Water Heater(gas) underneath stairs

Users who are viewing this thread

anthem

Reaction score
Trying to locate a water heater in a convenient area. Trying to get some clarification on code. I know you can't have a gas water heater in a closet that opens to any living quarters or bathroom. I've also been told that it is not allowed to place a gas water heater/boiler underneath a stairway (can't seem to find that in the UBC code yet, but guess that is true). The code also states that there is an exception for direct vent gas water heaters ( basically sealed combustion chamber type water heaters, etc).

Anyhow, does anyone know if open combustion gas water heaters are truly not allowed under stairs and whether that applies to a sealed combusion/direct vent gas water heater ? Thanks

anthem

Reaction score
Hmm, update. Just been told that there isn't a code restricting water heater placement until a stairway but that some code inspectors had bounced it in the past. Don't know if its an old code or one that certain municipalities add an addendum to.

It just has to have the correct air intake allowance built in. Apologies for taking anyone's time.

R

Rancher

anthem said:
Trying to get some clarification on code. I know you can't have a gas water heater in a closet that opens to any living quarters or bathroom.
My last 2 homes have had a gas water heater in a closet that opens to the interior of the house (I assume that's living quarters), one was natural gas and my current home is propane. Is it really not allowed?

Rancher

anthem

Reaction score
Rancher said:
My last 2 homes have had a gas water heater in a closet that opens to the interior of the house (I assume that's living quarters), one was natural gas and my current home is propane. Is it really not allowed?

Rancher

My understanding is that you aren't allowed to have gas heaters located in a closet/enclosed area that opens to bedrooms(living quarters), bathrooms, etc. Interior of the house is fine as long as its not defined to be where someone might sleep there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks