Freezing Vent Pipes on Roof

Users who are viewing this thread

floerchinger

Reaction score
My husband and I live in Iowa where our winter weather has turned extremely cold (currently 7 degrees). Our home has two 3" vent pipes and one 2" vent pipe on the roof coming from our bathrooms/kitchen. Over the last week, each of the pipes have frozen over. When this happens, our basement smells of sewer gas. To eliminate this problem, we have had to climb up on the roof and pour hot water down each pipe to unfreeze them. Any ideas on how to eliminate the vent pipes from freezing (aside from not using any hot water)? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

R

Rancher

floerchinger said:
Over the last week, each of the pipes have frozen over.
Frozen over... I assume because of snow? I don't know if this is legal or to code, but you could dry fit 2 street ells to the top of the vents, that should keep the snow out.

Rancher

floerchinger

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. However, they freezing is not due to snow, just frigid temperatures. The steam rising up out of the pipes freezes when it reaches the roof line and causes the pipes to freeze over.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
It's not snow, it's steam coming up the vents, condensing and freezing.

Next summer change all the vents so that 4" pipe comes through the roof.

Don't take long showers.

Wrap a short heat tape around the vent pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks