Broken threaded end of pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Helaire

Reaction score
Plumb or Die, you're a GENIUS!!!!

The hacksaw ways the way to go. Cut through the broken piece in two places, about a 1/4" apart. Don't cut 100% of the way through and screw up the internal threads. 99%'s good. Use a 1/4" wide flat crewdriver to pry out the little piece between the two cuts.
Once that piece is out, the remaining bit of broken pipe can be gently pried out. I've done this many times, works like a charm. One cut won't do, you have to do two to weaken the rest of the pipe so you can pry it towards the inside of the fitting, and out.
Good Luck!

Yay!! I have been working on a 1/3" of broken off pipe threads for 2 months or so, now. Have purchased probably 5 different tools, and also tried to dissolve some of the mineral deposits by sticking the corner of a vinegar-soaked towel in the opening and leaving it there overnight several times. Internal wrenches just ground down and smoothed the surfaces so I couldn't get a grip on the inside of the pipe. So, I got a file that was triangular shaped around rather than round and started cutting a few grooves in the pipe to create something to grab. An "easy out" was too long---didn't have that much clearance behind the broken segment for it to grab. I tried an Reps pipe extractor and just couldn't get enough traction to turn it. Today, with your wonderful advice, I filed a parallel line 1/4" away from one of the grooves I had made earlier, hammered away with a small flathead screwdriver and finally got a small piece out, worked at it some more, until enough broke free that I could get under a segment of the broken out part with needlenose pliers, and simply unscrewed the rest as if it had never been stuck!!! Many, many thanks!! I see that I did grind down a little of the threads on the inside of the remaining pipe, but I bet that with a good bit of plumber's tape on the replacement pipe threads, it will be fine. I am very grateful for your wise advice, clearly born of a lot of experience.

Finally, I can install my rainwater shower head and enjoy a long awaited and much deserved luxury! :):D;):)
Thank you, thank you!

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Hacksaw ?? Huh?

I've removed probably over a hundred broken shower arms at this point in my career and I've never had to hacksaw a single one of them. I have a square easy-out that I tap into the remaining threads and just turn out the broken end. Sometimes I'll find a small tab hanging off the end of the broken threads and can unwind the remaining threads with a needlenose pliers like another member mentioned. Between those two methods, I've never had one not come out, and I've certainly never had to open the wall to repair one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As long as we are going to ressurect a feb 2007 thread we might as well improve the answer.... I too do not play with hacksaw blades. unless I'm trying to get a piece started for the first method I list below.

I usually get them out through the existing hole in the wall or, make it slightly larger but still small enough that the escutchion will cover it then by catching a piece of the thread and break it inward then grab it with pliers or, small vise grips continue round and round carefully breaking it inward without breaking it off. Kinda like opening a sardine can... It ends up looking like a helicoil and it comes out. Hopefully this works for you, there are other more expensive methods if this doesn't work.

HeliCoilthreadinserts.gif

On the siouxchief website http://www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm click specialties, then tools... Scroll down to "Internal Nipple Wrench" That is another tool that may work.

Another way that I get them out is by using a #7 easy out with 1/2" cut off the end.

1218a6pcspiral.jpg

If you can get it using the first method you don't have to buy any tools.:D

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
When I was about 13 and I had just asked a plumber in my dad's RV factory to tell me how to tell the difference between male threads and female threads, he was too embarrassed (maybe for me?) to answer!
I had the similar experience with my dad when I was about 6. He just paused, and said the male goes into the female. I said OK, but hadn't a clue what he meant. Eventually the light dawned, but it's getting dimmer :(.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've taken out quite a number of these broken-off threads. I simply use a small bladed flat screwdriver and a hammer. The brass threads are so thin that you can pop the screwdriver beneath them and then pop out the entire set with needle-nosed pliers. The trick is to not damage the threads on the heavier brass drop ear ell. Of course, this depends upon the drop ear being secured well behind the wall.

Albi

Reaction score
Help.
Tried to replace the pipe that feeds a shower head with a longer one. When unscrewing, the threaded end furthest from the shower head broke off (about 1/2 way down the threads). I'm at a loss as to ideas to get the remainder out. Any recommendations? Picture 1 is the pipe that broke at the end so you can see what I'm talking about. Picture 2 is the feed pipe with the brass inner circle being the portion of the extension that broke off.
I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Al

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 356

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You could also have used a nipple extractor sold in the irrigation section of the big box stores. Comes with "bits" for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe. Intended for plastic, but I've used them for copper and brass OK.

Attachments

• Nipple extractor.jpg
    Nipple extractor.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 341

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
This happened at my dad's house and I found a forum (maybe it was this one) where someone suggested just buying a metal file with a tapered end....A few taps with a hammer, channel locks, and the broken part of the shower arm came right out. Worked great since the edges of the file are also grooved like the flat part of the file.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks