Can I offset the vertical pipe on a p trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

ricka

Reaction score
I could use a little advise here.

I had a one piece fiberglass tub and shower unit, and wanted to replace it with a standard tub and tile the walls up to the ceiling. After I removed the unit I found out the center of the overflow and drain is 20" from the wall, the new tub is 14 1/2". Is it possible to use two 45's or 90's on the vertical pipe coming out from the p trap to get the proper distance I need? I will say I live in Florida, so I already broke the slab to move it over, the home was built in 87 and it is PVC piping. The reason I suggested 90's is I don't know if I have enough room to use 45's and have enough room for the sanitary tee at slab level.

Sorry if this was long winded, I wanted to make sure I explained everything.

E

elvisclock

45's would be best. yes you can do it though. Have you tried a regular 45 and a street 45 together?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
offset

CAN you do it? Yes. SHOULD you do it? Definitely not, or at least if you do you had better hope it never plugs up because trying to snake through two elbows AND the "P" trap will be an adventure. The better way would be to put the sanitary tee at the proper height, angle it towards the tub drain outlet and connect that, then offset the overflow riser with 45(s), to line up with the opening on the tub.

ricka

Reaction score
Thanks for the info hj, the only problem is I don't have the room to add two 45's to go the distance for the overflow. What if I use one 45 and angle the overflow? Or...what about using the two 45's to get there (below the slab, I think the p trap is low enough) and a tub adapter and not using sch 40 but a thin wall pvc or brass waste and overflow?

Another question I have, tar was melted and poured in the tub block during new construction for a seal (for bugs I imagine :confused: ) What would I use to seal the space, and better yet how would I get it in the space?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

Depending on the tub and the placement of the "P" trap's riser, you may only need one 45 to angle the top to the overflow opening. But if two are necessary, a street 45 into the drain tee should give you a lot more room than you need to make the offset.

Racer814

Reaction score
you could use a 45 and angle the overflow ell at a 45....or you could use a st 45 and do the same......or a 1/16 bend, street or regular

all kids of ways

if you need a slighter offset than that, break out a heat gun.:eek:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbing supply houses carry sixteenth bends as well - for a slighter offset, pick up a few of them...
(22.5 deg elbows)

ricka

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all of your help, I did as suggested and angled the tee towards the drain and I have plenty of room to use a 45 for the overflow. I am going to wait until tomorrow to move the diverter over and set the tub. Hopefully everything lines up as expected and goes well. I'll post my finale results :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks