sump pump won't stop

Users who are viewing this thread

derekj

Reaction score
We recently moved into a new house. In one corner of the basement is a submersible sump pump sitting in a sump hole. I noticed several times yesterday when I was in the basement that the pump sounded like it was running. I finally took a closer look and, yes, that's what the sound was. It runs unless I unplug it. I say "runs" but it doesn't appear to be moving any water (the water level in the sump hole doesn't change and I don't hear anything that sounds like water moving).

This appears to be a new problem. I've been in this part of the basement as recently as a few days ago and didn't notice the sound of the pump.

I would appreciate suggestions about what the problem might be and how to fix it.

R

Rancher

derekj said:
It runs unless I unplug it. This appears to be a new problem. I've been in this part of the basement as recently as a few days ago and didn't notice the sound of the pump.
Did you remember to plug it back in? j/k :D

derekj said:
I say "runs" but it doesn't appear to be moving any water (the water level in the sump hole doesn't change and I don't hear anything that sounds like water moving).
Sump pumps are controled by float switches, they will pump down to a point where they can't pump anymore and if the switch has not opened it will continue to run until it burns up, if you did remember to plug it back in, then either the switch "fixed" itself, I have stuff all the time that breaks and then fixes itself back to operational condition... or if the pump burned up then the pump would not be running... if the water level in your basement continues to rise, that would be my guess.

Rancher

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
It could be any of several things:

1. pump is air-locked. Some air is trapped between the pump and check value and so it is preventing any water being pumped. No water being pumped....water level and float does not fall and motor continues to run. Solution - take pump out and drill a 1/8 hole in the pipe between the pump and CV. Reinstall

2. pump base is completely buried in sediment that is preventing any water from being sucked into the impeller. Check around base of pump to make sure sediment is cleared away. Some may advise putting the pump on a brick to raise it above sediment accumulation.

3. pump impeller is stuck. Some debris is clogging up the impeller and preventing it from turning. Remove pump and give it a good cleaning, make sure impeller works and re-install

4. Check valve is installed upside down - water is not being allowed to flow upward from the pit. If not upside down, perhaps the CV is somehow defective.

5. defective switch mechanism. Switch mechanism is failing either due to malfunction or that the float is stuck and not moving freely. Not the likely cause if the water level is above pump level.

In any case, if it's my basement then I would consider a new pump/switch and CV. I would not want to risk using a pump that may have now have a potential burnt out motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks