Dap-Out or not??

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffV

Reaction score
My tub is already set and I'm about to backfill and pour concrete (basement slab). I understand in my area that a dap out and access panel are code if I've got a drain stop w/ the mechanics inside the pipe. I don't have this type of stopper and know that by code I don't need an access panel. Is a dap-out required or recommended for any reason? The actual trap is well below where the bottom of the slab would lie, so there would only be the one drain coming up vertically through the concrete from the trap to the tub drain/overflow. Thoughts?

Thanks - Jeff

Cookie

Reaction score
Hj,
A dap out is a step down/a recess in concrete. I am pretty sure, I am right on this. If not, oh well, lol.

JeffV

Reaction score
Sounds good.

That's what I was hoping to hear... that you cement back over them. Thanks HJ.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
WOW... I've torn out a pile of tubs for replacements and remodels and have never seen a box out cemented over. I've seen them cemented over during slab pours then knocked out for access during construction.

R

Rancher

You cement over the box out to keep the creepy crawly's out of the house... at least you should, I didn't do it, and now wonder if there stuff in the closed off tub area...

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks