Stay away from Simers

Users who are viewing this thread

Bubb1957

Reaction score
Last year after a sump pump burned up, I bought a Lifetime warranty 3/4 hp Simer with a vertical float switch. (Bought it before I started reading this fourm). It lasted about 4 months before the switch failed during a heavy rain. Simer would not refund my money, and sent me to Sears. Sears would not give me my money back, but gave me another Simer model 3988 3/4 hp "lifetime guarantee" pump. This float lasted from Dec 5 2006 and has already failed! I have been using a "sump watcher" switch that I purchased online, but tested the original switch today that came with the pump, it failed. Once again, Simer customer svc would not help me, and told me to take it back to sears for exchange. I now have a Zoeller M98 which I will be installing to replace the Simer. Note to all: stay away from Simer and other big box store brands. When I get back from sears, I will have a new Simer for sale :)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Simer pump is Red Jacket under another name, now owned by ITT. If you want retrubution, get in touch with someone at ITT.

I guess we know how much "worth" goes into a lifetime warranty.

bob...

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'd say that the "lifetime warranty" is a selling point, rather than a testimony to how good the pumps actually are. As I've said before, big box stores sell pumps at a cheap price for a reason. That reason isn't "we want to sell you a really good pump for a really cheap price". I'm sure they've calculated it out that if you have to bring back a pump once in a while, you'll also pick up a few things while you're there.
On the other hand, how many pumps are installed in a service that they were not intended for, and when the pump failed, it took the blame rather than the installer? Many of my service calls involve pumps that are placed in a service for which they were not intended. Yet, when they fail, the DYIer wants to blame the manufacturer. I'll bet Speedbump and others in this business see this all the time, too.
Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
We sure do Ron. And the stuff they carry into our shop. If it's Big Box, we don't work on it. First of all we can't get parts for most of it and wouldn't anyway because it's all throw away product.

What's amazing is that for a little more the difference in quality does not offset the difference in price.

bob...

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
speedbump said:
We sure do Ron. And the stuff they carry into our shop. If it's Big Box, we don't work on it. First of all we can't get parts for most of it and wouldn't anyway because it's all throw away product.

What's amazing is that for a little more the difference in quality does not offset the difference in price.

bob...

I cringe seeing people buying their sumps at the big box stores. HD has their Rigid brand and will also sell the Flotec junk at prices that seem awfully high to me. Simers are sold at M****d's. It does not take too much effort to find local sources for higher quality equipment (ex. Zoeller, Hydromatic, etc.) at prices that are sometimes less than what they would pay for to get the plastic junk at the big boxes.

R

Rancher

I shop around, but also buy from the big box guys and especially SEARS, why... cuz you can get repair parts, I just fixed a 12 year old 150.00 garage door opener for 30.00, which was the complete set of gears and sprockets, it took me maybe 30 minutes total...

Rancher

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I guess that unless you are in the business, homeowners like me find out the hard way. When you pay over 175.00 for a "lifetime" pump you would think it would last more than a few months. I now have graduated to the zoeller level, but I will still have to deal with the switch failing. My next house will be one without a basement---problem solved! :D The knowledge you folks share is awesome. Thanks again.

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
bubb1957 said:
I guess that unless you are in the business, homeowners like me find out the hard way. When you pay over 175.00 for a "lifetime" pump you would think it would last more than a few months. I now have graduated to the zoeller level, but I will still have to deal with the switch failing. My next house will be one without a basement---problem solved! :D The knowledge you folks share is awesome. Thanks again.

Good pumps sometimes have switches that fail long before the motor. For an extremely active sump, I would recommend a good motor that has a quality mechanical switch that can be replaced easily without changing the pump motor.

I have an extremely active sump as well. My strategy is having quality layers of defense....proven primary pump, reliable switch that I can easily replace at a more frequent interval than the pump. Quality/high capacity battery backup system (ex. Aquanot II) with multiple high amp-hr AGM batteries.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Our local Sears sells a ton of pumps. Mostly, I think, because they'll give just about anyone credit.
I had someone tell me a while back, during a discussion of pumps, that he's been buying Sears pumps for years. I ask him "if Sears pumps are so good, why have you been buying them for years??" Granted, no one builds a pump like they used to, but there is still quality out there. The right pump for the right job is the secret.
Ron

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I am sure that in alot of "normal" sump crocks, you could get away with a Sears, or big box pump, as it would probably last 5-10 years. With a high volume inflow like mine and several others on this forum, no chance. I always chuckle to myself when I read someone being concerned that their pump is going off every half-hour, I would love it if mine would slow down to that level at anytime of the year! I had my new zoeller m98 installed this morning along with a []pro-series 2200 [/B][/B]battery back up system, so now I head back to sears to try to return the old simer. Thanks again for all your expertise. I am afraid I am "hooked" on these forums now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks