leaking 1/4" compression fitting on angle stop

Users who are viewing this thread

keeter

Reaction score
hello plumbers,

i have an RO filter line 1/4" plastic tubing attached to an angle stop via compression fitting. This is the supply line to my RO filter. the compression fitting is leaking ( annoying seep). i have tried replacing the nut and compression sleeve (recut the line nice and square) but it dtill seeps. I do not think the problem is my angle stop which is pretty new. My question is should i use a plastic compression sleeve and tube insert with the metal angle stop? right now i have a brass sleeve and plastic tube insert. should i be using a brass tube insert in the plastic tube???

hope this makes sense?????

:confused: keeter

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Anytime you use plastic for water lines regarding your situation, ALWAYS use the plastic compression ferrule along with the brass stiffener.

When you do this, thread that compression nut on and hand tighten it. THEN, turn the water on, it will leak. Take a wrench and turn it only until the leak stops.....then give it another 1/2 a turn and you're done.

Overtightening can cause a leak as well as using a brass ferrule on plastic small tubing.

If there is any bend to that tubing before it enters that compression fitting, it will slowly cut into that pipe and cause problems with a leak.

That happens a great deal in my area with plumbers using pex toilet and faucet supplies and use the brass ferrules that came with the angle or straight stops; they cut the pipe eventually which is spelled danger in many ways.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks