diverter valve leak - 3 valve diverter valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

minillich

Reaction score
My shower has three knobs and the one in the middle diverts the water flow from the tub spout to the shower. I think that means I have a 3 valve diverter valve, if not please correct me.

When I turn the diverter knob so that the water comes out of the shower, there is still significant water flowing from the tub spout. There is also a leak coming from the diverter knob itself.

I have tried having someone replace the washer and the seat, but this hasn't helped. Please tell me what the problem could be and how to fix it. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

The diverter is double seated, meaning that it shuts off one section when it is fully "open" and the other when it is "closed". Replacing the washer only fixes one way, and probably not the way that was leaking. The best way is replace the diverter stem, because few places will have the parts to repair the second seat's seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks