Dual sinks wont drain

Users who are viewing this thread

alex1000

Reaction score
Hello,
While I'm pretty handy around the house, plumbing is pretty new to me.

I replaced a 60" single sink vanity, with two 25" vanities. Now after everything is hooked up, neither sink will drain the water at all it seems. My configuration is as follows:

-One 1 1/2" P trap right in between the two vanities, leading into the wall.
-Above the P trap I put a center split waste pipe (looks like a "T"). The top of the T sits about 4-5" higher than the pipe coming out of the wall.
-From the T split, there are about 18" to each sink drain pipe. There's not a big pitch from the sinks to the center waste, just a very slight one.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I was reading that some people put a p trap under each sink. Is this the better solution?

Thanks.

Alex

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sinks

If one sink drains into the other, then you have a drain stoppage and you have to clean the drain all the way to the stoppage, not just to the vent.

Casman

Reaction score
I read another similar post last week and it seems to obvious that everytime someone changes to a double sink configuration and neither sink drains that its a clog. Wouldn't this mean it was blocked before the change, or is any partial blockage magnified by adding another sink? Of course I get it that it's most likely a blockage cause otherwise the water would drain but are there any other possibilities besides the obvious?

ddmoit

Reaction score
With only one P trap, is it possible that each sink acts like a misplaced vent for the other? It might explain why one sink can manage to get past an obstruction, but two sinks cannot.

alex1000

Reaction score
with one sink it drained fine. So Im assuming its not a clogged drain issue. But I'll check that...hopefully ill find the drain is to the vent pipe :)

What about trying two p traps, one under each one?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You almost always should clean the drain when you do work like that before you connect every thing back up. And it's a good idea to put a clean out in there while redoing the piping so you can do a good job of cleaning the drain line. It saves a mess too..........

alex1000

Reaction score
ok, well...it is definitely clogged. I removed the PVC piping, stuck a 20 dollar snake into the metal pipe in the wall, and the snake goes about 20 inches and is blocked by some muddy/sandy substance. The metal pipe also makes a 90 degree left turn right where I believe it is clogged. But Im having a very tough time breaking thru it. Is there a better tool i should get (assuming the problem is only a couple of feet from the wall)?

I then connected the standard wall pvc pipe, attached to a 10" PVC pipe directed upward. Filled it with about half a gallon of water before i could see the water stuck in the pvc pipe...which confirms the clog.

Will pouring boiling water (very carefully! :) ) down the pipe do anything to help?

Thanks for the suggestions/comments.

alex1000

Reaction score
hj said:
A $20.00 snake is probably about useless.
that it is, other than identifying where my clog is ;)
i'll probably take it back. Are the more expensive snakes any better? The metal "cord" didnt seem much weaker than more expensive alternatives.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Your snake is almost useless, but I bet some of these guys could make it work in a real pinch. It's got to be cable and not a steel tape.

You need a snake that is a little bigger diameter, a little stiffer, and just keep practicing till you get around all those corners.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
alex1000 said:
Is there a better tool i should get (assuming the problem is only a couple of feet from the wall)?

Will pouring boiling water (very carefully! :) ) down the pipe do anything to help?

I have occasionally used water pressure to clear drains, and once they are clear, I sometimes alternate back and forth between cold and hot water to try to help loosen sticky stuff on the walls. There are many ways to get water pressure into a drain line, and those ways might be limited only by imagination! Here are a couple of devices I have used ...

Attachments

• Im000489.jpg
    Im000489.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 391
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks