Stuck diverter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

spresco

Reaction score
I have an old Kohler shower diverter valve that is stuck. After removing the bonnet nut I found what looks to be a floating sleeve holding the diverter valve in. Any suggestions how to free up the sleeve without damaging the stem or housing? Could I just unscrew it part way and give it a few good wacks into the valve to loosen it or will this damage something? I have removed the hot and cold water compression valves with no problem.

Attachments

• DSCF1820.JPG
    DSCF1820.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,394

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't tell what I'm looking at in that pic... could you back up a little so I can see more? Don't have a clue what I'm looking at.

spresco

Reaction score
Got it out

Well I did manage to get it out by brute force. Pushed up and down and side to side on the handle until I broke it loose. Looks like hard water deposits were the cause. Attached is a picture of what it looks like. There is no gasket any where on it. I hope the gasket does not go on the very end of the stem. There is no screw there just a rusty nub.

Attachments

• DSCF2128.JPG
    DSCF2128.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,621
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks