shower questions

Users who are viewing this thread

mudpie03

Reaction score
I have a leak in the shower that I asked about earlier..since then I have cut an access in the wall behind the shower and discovered that the shower connection is leaking instead of the tub/showr valve. I still may need access to the valve but it has a 1"x4" brace across the back of it. It completely covers the back of it and all connections which leads me to my question. If i remove the brace temporarily what will happen? The hot and cold connection come up from the floor and t into the valve and appear to support it. I'm guessing the valve brace was more functional before the tile wall was installed. I really don't want to tear out the tile in the wall of the shower. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There may also be some clamps on that brace holding the pipes in position. This is good and bad. Good, in that it is supporting the valve like it is supposed to be, and bad, since it was done from the inside of the shower, and it (might) be a pain to remove.

Note, if it is a cartridge, you can often replace them from the shower side. If it is a pipe connection, and not internal to the valve, then it could be a pinhole leak in a pipe, or something like that, and you'd need to get the brace off to replace the defective or worn out part.

mudpie03

Reaction score
I just cut another hole behind the showerhead where there is another brace and with a little mirror I can see around the brace. The leak is coming from where the shower stem is screwed into the pipe. I just have to figure out how to seal this.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
You need to remove the shower arm, it should come off with some effort, when you are standing in the tub facing the shower. Uncrew the arm, clean off the threads, and look at them. If they are damaged in any way, I would replace the arm. You can get them at HD/Lowe's. If the threads are good, dab a small amount of teflon paste on the threads, and add 2 wraps of teflon tape. Paste and tape are available in HD/Lowe's plumbing section. Then reinstall the arm, and test for leaks. If there are still leaks, then the threads in the riser pipe elbow (normally a cast brass drop ear elbow) may be bad. I think the only way to replace the elbow is to access from behind (hole in drywall). If the elbow needs replacing, it can get to be quite a project.

Yes the tape + paste is a little belt and suspenders. But if you use paste sparingly, and get the tape wraps flat and neat, it is a high confidence connection.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks