Caulking the Tub Spout Question

Users who are viewing this thread

BobF

Reaction score
I have a question about caulking a bath spout.

I traced the source of a behind the wall drip to the tub spout. When water is splashed against the spout small amouts of water will make it behind the tub wall.

The caulking around the tub spout looks questionable so I plan on applying a fresh bead. But I noticed that there's a small opening on the bottom of the spout that appears to be for a set screw. Should I attempt to seal this hole?

I have read some online accounts where the routine is to only caulk around the top and sides of the spouts.

And would it be good idea to remove the spout to see if there's a gasket in place and to check its condition? And, if so, is it difficult to remove a spout? Does it thread on?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere are two common ways for a spout to attach - press on compression fitting, and screw on. WHen there is a set screw, it is almost always a push-on, compression spout. Usually, loosening the set screw will allow you to get it off. Sometimes, there are directional teeth that help hold it in place and O-rings. These can be damaged when removing the thing. And, if the set screw was tightened too much, it might have dimpled the pipe and that can make sealing toughter when removing it unless setting it in the same place.

BobF

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
THere are two common ways for a spout to attach - press on compression fitting, and screw on. WHen there is a set screw, it is almost always a push-on, compression spout. Usually, loosening the set screw will allow you to get it off. Sometimes, there are directional teeth that help hold it in place and O-rings. These can be damaged when removing the thing. And, if the set screw was tightened too much, it might have dimpled the pipe and that can make sealing toughter when removing it unless setting it in the same place.

Jim,

Thank you for the helpful information.

In taking a close look at the spout I noticed that there was a small radial crack or possibly a cut outside of the caulk location. It looks to be a fallout of the spout installation when we had out house repiped a few years ago.

I strongly suspect that this is where the water was leas through the fiberglass tub wall. I just caulked that area and recaulked around the perimeter of the spout, excluding the very bottom.

I'll check it tomorrow and see if that took care of the problem.

For now, I'll leave the spout in place.

Thanks again,

Bob

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the spout off and caulk the hole where the nipple comes through the wall, put the spout back on then caulk the spout for cosmetic reasons.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks