Stopping a leak at the cold inlet of water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

SEast

Reaction score
I just finished installing a replacement water heater. All of the connections are dry except the dielectric into the cold inlet. I have tried tape, dope, and replacing the dielectric with a brass fitting. I am still getting a very small leak from the fitting. When I take the fittings off, the threads look like they have been smashed down. No longer clean sharp threads.

o Could the cold water inlet be out of round?
o Is there a pipe dope that actually hardens to some extent that will fill in the voids and not be displaced when I re-apply pressure?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
SEast said:
o Could the cold water inlet be out of round?
o Is there a pipe dope that actually hardens to some extent that will fill in the voids and not be displaced when I re-apply pressure?

The inlet could have been distorted when welded to the tank, and no, pipe dope and tape are far more for lubrication during fitment than for actual sealing.

Short of returning the unit for a replacement, I would try using a pipe tap to straighten things out just a bit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heater

Welcome to the world of Home Depot and similar where final inspections are usually carried out by the purchaser. You can try using a tap. If the threads are just damaged and not out of round it will clean them. Otherwise you have to return the heater and get a new one. Now you know why contractors do not buy them there. They may be cheaper, but having to install, remove, return, and install a new one, (at no extra charge), is not something we want to do.

SEast

Reaction score
Loews

Well, that is exactly what I did. Removed it, returned it to Loews, bought a new one and installed. Amazing, no leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks