Shower Pan Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

elgato

Reaction score
I just received my 54x34 Swanstone pan. I am surprised at how lightweight it is. I cannot see how it could be installed without a mortar bed.

elgato-01.jpg

The grid ranges from approx 1/2" at the edge to o" at the center. It looks like a challenge to spread the mortar so that it evenly fills most pockets.

Second Question.
These photos are of the 8"x 16" hole in the slab for plumbing. Originally it was filled with dirt but it did not provide adequate support in the center. The old pan cracked near the drain.

elgato-02.jpg

elgato-03.jpg

Any recommendations on how to approach this? The Swanstone pan looks like it should have support as close to the center as possible.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Wrap the pipe in a bit of foam where it comes through the slab or sleeve it with a piece of 3" PVC/ABS...
Back fill the hole with dirt to 4" from the surface...
Repour around the tailpiece to give your pan support.

elgato

Reaction score
Would you suggest repouring with something easier to remove than concrete?
If so, what?

Also, would it be acceptable to backfill with sand?

Thank You
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks