How much water stays in the toilet trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
OK, I am still at it, winterizing that cottage in Massachusetts. My next question is how much water stays in the trap of a typical 1.6 gal flush toilet? I need to pour antifreeze in it and don't want to waste it at $3.50/gal. I want to use the non-toxic (expensive) stuff to not hurt my septic system.

I assume that even though it takes 1.6 gal to flush, it does not hold that amount in the trap, or am I wrong?

thanks, Rick.

TedL

Reaction score
It varies by toilet, but let me give an idea.

Last weekend I replaced three toilets in my house (2 AS 1.6 gal; 1 URC 3.5 gal) and after flushing to empty the tank, used a turkey baster to empty the bowl, along with a half gallon jug. None of the three came close to filling the jug. Perhaps the refill tube into the overflow would have added some more. But if you want accuracy, do what I did and measure what you get out.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can tell you how much water the toilet trap holds, but I can tell you not to use regular radiator antifreeze. Use RV antifreeze. Just take a plunger and forces as much water out as possible, then refill the bowl with the RV antifreeze.

tviapiano

Reaction score
Maybe swimming pool antifreeze?

Maybe swimming pool antifreeze would be even safer, since it is meant to be drained out of the pool lines into the pool when it is opened in the spring?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Large sponge tied by a string to a wood ruler or paint stick taped to the toilet seat.

The sponge pulls out as soon as you lift the seat, keeps anyone from using it as well.

The sponge will keep sewer gases out, offers no harm to dogs that could drink out of it and no chemicals are used.

All toilets have varying water surface...used as selling points most times. I use a very small shop vac to suck water out of the tank during a rebuild or both the tank and bowl when the toilet is being removed/replaced.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Since I've never weather proofed my RV, and only have one cabin weather proofing under my belt, let me ask a silly question... RV anti-freeze is used in the potable water tank, correct? And the same with pool anti-freeze, it's where someone could actually drink a small portion of it... Except for the dog slurping up some of it before you turn the water back on... do you gain anything by using people and dog safe anti-freeze? I mean, close the lid and you take care of the dog problem, and I don't plan on sipping it out of the bowl, and the small amount used shouldn't hurt the trees, or does it?

Rancher

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Automotive antifreeze is considered a hazardous waste. It is quite toxic. A tablespoon can kill a dog. Don't use it where it can get into potable water systems, and that also means don't put it down the drain!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

I hope by that last statement that you do not mean that the drainage system feeds into the potable water pipes. All you have to do is pour in enough antifreeze to cover the opening at the bottom of the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks