Jetting a 47 yr old CI main drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffV

Reaction score
My Cast Iron main drain is little more than 1/3 full w/ sediment (per recent camera run down pipe). I've been advised by a local plumbing company that I could have it jetted but I would run a 95% risk of breaking the old CI pipe as the jetting machine runs at 2200 psi. They advised replacing all of the pipe to the street to the tune of $5,900. Ouch!

I later called another "jetting" company which does only Jetting of drains. This guy doesn't seem jetting it would be an issue at all. This alternative is obviously the most attractive to me.

Any thoughts on this situation? Is there a seriously high chance of this old CI pipe breaking due to the high water pressure?

Thanks - Jeff

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
I would talk to a drain cleaning spe******t, not a plumbing company that does drain cleaning...sounds like they are trying to sell you more than you need. There are many different heads that can be used on a jetter.

Good luck.

JeffV

Reaction score
Not so sure the existing CI is "that" brittle...

That's according to the plumbing company. I was just hoping to see what experiences of others are...is it typical of CI pipe to become that brittle over time? I've read the life expectancy of it is 75-100 years.

The professional jetting company I talked to did say that as long as they use the correct nozzle there should be no issue. They want $600 to jet 70 feet of line and then camera it afterwards.

My thinking at the moment is to take the gamble, and get it jetted. If it breaks from the jetting, then as Rugged said, it likely needs to be replaced anyhow. If it doesn't break, then I save 6-Large.

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks