Which are the most efficient storage water heaters (gas)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Old Pete, newer is not always better. I just had a new high-tech condensing boiler with outdoor reset control added. It probably cost me 150% more than a more conventional one, and even with the increase in efficiency and the rebate from the utility company, I'll never recoup those additional costs. Nobody knows where energy costs will really go, but the trend definately is and probably will remain up. I bought it because I wanted it. Some people will do that with tankless. In my case, my boiler starts at 94% efficiency, and for most tasks probably exceeds 98% (i.e., when it is not running at full tilt,which is most of the time). I'm using it to heat my water, too. The better tanks have about a 1/4-degree/hour standby loss. Where is the huge waste? It isn't there. The boiler is more efficient than most if not all tankless units, and I've got a huge amount of water that will supply all of my expected needs at a very good price. The heat exchanger tubes and tank are SS, so, since it isn't seeing very big temperature extremes, should last forever for all practical purposes, with maybe a change of temperature sensor.

Where I live, as indicated, the incoming water is often just above freezing in the winter. FOr those in more temperate climes, a tankless system can probably provide lots of water, but here, you'd have to run a couple of units in series to have the volume I desire. I frequently fill a 40-gallon air tub in about 5-minutes. That's around 8-gallons/minute. I can do this while the dishwasher is running, for some reason, or someone else happens to be taking a shower, or just decides to wash their hands.

So, and I don't think I'm alone, there are alternatives. The average person doesn't want to do anything except buy the thing - they don't want to do any maintenance. To get the full life and performance out of a tankless, you must either pay for or do maintenance on the thing on a regular basis, especially if your water is unconditioned and hard. Choosing one of the more efficient tanks means you can probably buy three or more for the price of installing one tankless, with less maintenance, and potentially similar energy costs. If you are using electrical, those are 100% efficient, and to do the same thing with an electrical tankless would require a huge supply, which most places don't have. Same thing with using gas...you need a significant gas line, meter, and main line to get anywhere near the capacity of a tank type. In some places, you pay for that peak demand supply, even if you don't use it very often - i.e., your base costs are higher all of the time.

Many people ignore the free space air makeup requirements for a big burner required to supply that 6-gallons/minute flow of that tankless system. I looked into it, and I did NOT have a big enough space to meet the manufacturer's specs without putting about 3 square feet of louvered holes in the walls. Some of them use closed combustion, and that helps.

There are many things to consider...tankless is NOT the answer for everyone, and just as some rant for one, you are ranting for the other. Sometimes, both can be correct, but just like buying a pair of shoes, one size and style does not suit everyone, and in some cases, just plain won't work!

If your house is set up for it, and your use patterns allow its use, and your physical conditions are right (your incoming water isn't barely above freezing as mine is for several months of the year), then yes, it can work. But, it is much more expensive initially, requires more maintenance, and isn't that much more efficient than some of the better tank types, and isn't as good as my indirect tank on my highly efficient boiler.

Some have said they don't like the boiler for keeping water hot in the summer when the boiler wouldn't normally need to run, but with the new high efficieny, condensing units, they only have a little over a gallon of water in the burner and are designed for cold starts. Older designs were not anywhere near as efficient. The same may be true of the tankless systems, but they just aren't equal.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
106 shower???

GoTanklessToday said:
The average system will give 3.8 gpm at 120 with an 80 degree rise. The thing is, there is no need to heat your shower water to 120. You can't use 120. You use it at 105-106. If you set the temp to 110, you will be right back up there at 4+ gpm, which will run two 2.5 gpm showers at the same time (2 gpm hot, the rest cold). The plumbing might not supply that, but the heater will produce it. I always ask my customers to answer honestly.. when will they be using two showers at the same time? That is the classic "magnum" mentality. "how fast will this Viper go? 150+... SWEET"

My kid had a fever with a 103 temperature last week.......

therefore he was "pissing a stream" of 103 water, correct????

now you raise that temp 3 degrees and you got the temp you claim
that everyone takes a shower in.....

it just does not add up to me, but hell what do I know,

maybe people in Seattle like takeing pisswater baths???

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Ok, so let's add another $1000 for extras. (Even though the materials are closer to $400.)

Figure around 20 feet; that's about the average distance both of my water heater installs were hovering around. You are still below on your numbers

Ummm... Handyman or not, that's $1500-$4500 profit for less than 3 hours worth of work.

You're starting to reveal how unknowledgeable you really are on these matters. Your lawyers are ripping you off, by the way. Are all tankless units priced by your suggestion, a grand, forget the pipe? LMAO!!!

Sorry, but please don't turn this into a "Handyman" "DIYer are dumb" issue.

But again, I don't know anything... ;) But I'm a stupid DIYer that doesn't know a thing. :p <<<< Your words, not mine and you are drifting off from the subject matter which doesn't involve anything personal.

It sounds more like "Let's put some fear into homeowners and keep them buying units that only last 7-9 years. Instead of 20".

No, let's run down the list of FACTS needed to be considered before jumping the bandwagon on a product that is considered limited and pricey.

And for each of the people you find that have had a tank for 30 years, how many have had it 7 (give or take a year)?

How about 3, 2, 1, how bout 6 months before tank failure? It happens, but it's reasonably cheap for them replace IF they do it themselves, EXPENSIVE when no trained hands are there to work on the tankless. SOMEDAY, tankless pricing will come down, trained hands will be there to service, not yet. That's an open mind I have that you do not posess. You want the buying public to spend now and ask questions later and I won't be tied to a bad purchase of a product that will have problems in my area.

Hard Water Climate issues (cold weather)

Quoting the exception is silly. And saying that I can take a shower, do a load of wash AND run my dishwasher all with the "Average" size tank is a stone-faced lie. I can't even take 1.5 showers with a 40.

I knew sooner or later you'd divulge the size of your water heater. 40 gallons is 28 gallons of ready to use hot water in any given situation. I'm sure you didn't know the 12 gallon rule.

THE MAJORITY OF CONSUMERS WHEN IT COMES TO USING THEIR PLUMBING>>>>>> DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT GPM MEANS. BUT WHEN YOU BUY A TANKLESS, YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T, YOUR TAKING A COLD SHOWER. FACT

Ugh. It's amazing people ever try new technology in this country. I'm surprised we're not still carrying our laundry down to the creek.

No weight to your statement, especially if you aren't even a part of the plumbing profession. I don't recall NOT installing a PowerVent water heater last night. I recall those coming around as "new technology" in the past 20. All the products that wisk through my hands signify new technology and what works, what doesn't work.

While you are armchairing your opinions, I'm in the field experiencing what the profession offers on a day to day basis. I hear the complaints, I hear the customers wants and needs. You, are giving us "it's in my house, it works for everyone" lingo.

Tankless water heaters are clearly the better choice. Especially the new technology with higher GPM and better transfer methods. I have an older technology unit (Baxi) and don't have anything bad to say about it, except that I'm one of the few people that know how to work on them. It is a much more complicated unit than just straight DHW (this one does both heat and DHW -- so there's more to it. To hear professionals scoff at the technology is just plain silly

In some areas, yes. In new construction, cheaper. Will they stand the test of time? Most likely in the best situations regarding temperature and hard water conditions. They are not foolproof like you are gloating them to be. You are lucky you have the knowledge to work on yours; majority doesn't. PERIOD

The person that gave the Iraq solider story... shame on you. You could have saved that person a lot of money in energy costs and a better quality of life. Instead now, she can worry about the next time her tank is going to spring a leak and flood her basement, or perhaps the next time the pressure valve is going to get stuck open.

That was me, my story and I'm sticking to it. The only shame in this is I didn't return the $25 cash tip he shoved in my front pocket for being so dependable on a cold night.

He came out of retirement from the Armed Forces because his job as aircraft mechanic with one of the popular airlines is about to really cut down the pensions that would of given him the comfort he needed, deserved and earned. He told me about how those guys from Pan-Am put in 30 years and are now getting $300/month pensions. That's is just horrible.

He's 50 years old, has had his spined fused twice @ LS-4 and 5. The priced I charged him was half of what I told him to expect, given off the job the night before. He cared about his wife and family to know that hot water is very important in a large family.

Your statements now look pretty insulting to your own integrity on this forum board, especially thinking I'm going to hustle this guy into buying a tankless on a sunday evening talking thousands and maybe hot water next week sometime.

And may I remind the reading public after viewing your posts on this board that you're the same one bashing plumbers and giving plumbing supply houses a hard way to go because you want rock bottom from every experience you encounter.

Thanks for the time-filler, 24 is on and I love this show!!!!

Last edited:

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Tankless vs tank?????

Crunch the #'s... the cost of install will be eaten up by cost of operation... They will cost about the same. Find out what your customer wants and deliver it ..... you won't do them wronge either way.

dances-with-pumps

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
It's a popular topic with no real answer.....

which came first the chicken or the egg

dances-with-pumps

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sign that waiver....

all they got to do is sign that waiver and I will

install the best god da// tankless heater I can get

my grubby hands on......

lets see ...they can get a 75 gallon installed for about 1300
and it will last about 10+ years.....produceing a constant
135 degree temperature through -----hell and icewater....

or they can install a tankless heater for about $3500++ with
about the same life span results except they can expect a constant temp of 106-----which basically is --- PISSWATER----

If they are happy with this , and sign that waiver,
then god bless them , I will gladly take their money......

For $3500++
I will even piss down their backs if they want a demo
on how the tankless hot water will feel.....

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
I've had mixed feelings about the tankless that I've installed...... You have'to "over size" the water heaters or the customer will be disapointed... anyone that skimps on the size will hate them....

you get what you pay for....

will you save enough on power to install cost:confused: ????

dances-with-pumps

Last edited by a moderator:

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also know that the majority of the viewing public understands the difference between someone trying to sell a product, and those who install/service/maintain/troubleshoot plumbing products on an everyday basis.

What you think you are seeing and what is really happening are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I forgot more about water heaters than you will EVER know. I've been dealing with hot water systems solely for 20 years. I am a working installer who installs 3-4 tanks a day, and 2-3 tankless a week. I have installed in excess of 16000 water heaters, 99.9 % of which were tanks. There was a time when I was ignorant like you and I remember it well. See.... I was installing tankless heaters in 1987. I remember well when they hit the scene here in the northwest. I put 3 in one week, and took them back out the next. TRUST me, I was not a proponent of tankless at all. I did everything I could to downplay them. I talked customers out of them a zillion times. I refused to accept them because the european models that we sold back then were not designed for whole house installation. Then the Japanese models hit the US market in force. In fall of 2003 I had a booth at the Seattle Home Show, where I had some tanks and a few tankless systems on display. This is when the lightbulb came on for me. I had people actually come running to my booth to see the tankless heaters. My neighbors in the home show were so tired of all the traffic I was getting, and by the end of each night I couldn't talk at all becaue my voice was gone. I ran out of brochures on day 2 of a 5 day show. We sold a PILE of heaters.

And for the record, when I say you are ignorant, it is not meant as an insult. Ignorant means "uninformed". "Shows lack of knowlege". I was surely ignorant too right up to that fall day in 2003. After that, I couldn't learn enough about them. I dedicated all my free time to learning about them and how to make them work for my customers. Why? Because I could see beyond a shadow of a doubt that my customers want them.

But the sales tactic of "Take this blood pressure medication because everyone has been using it for years next door and since it's working for me right now, you should take it. No harm no foul" doesn't surface in a good light for your ongoing premace to drum the idea it is great.

Huh? (scratches head) I never said that you should stop selling tanks, or that the tankless is the save all. When did I ever say that? The only reason this debate continues with my input is because I can see that you need my input. I'm trying to help you here.

I give you credit tankless, you're holding up better than the last few tankless guys that come here to boast the sales drive. You are damn near agreeing with most of the points I'm driving at.

I do agree. Actually, you agree with me. Or we agree. Whatever you want to say. Your points are valid, well, most of them. It's when you try to discredit the system that I feel the urge to "help" you (or anyone else that may be looking for sound info). It's not that you are saying "they may work in your part of the country, but they won't here because of the...... ". Some intelligent contractors from other areas have made comments to that tune, and as you can see, no one is out to drag them out and debate them. YOU know if they will work in your area. I don't. I know they will work in my area (and around the world for that matter). If I were in your area, I guarantee you that I could sell them. And my customers there would be just as happy. Sure, I'd have to learn all about water treatment systems, which is a good thing. I'd sell those too.

My customer base calls me solely on the front of "how fast can you get my hot water back up and running."

Us too. Our trucks roll with 2-3 tanks and a tankless system at all times.

Now envision me putting a tankless in because I'm all giddy and **** trying to start the "new wave" of technology in this guy's basement.

50 plus years. New wave?

and I'm not making these up; this situation presents itself whether it is the climate, the hard water area, the sizing of the tankless which definitely dictates cost solely, the periodic maintenance of the units as opposed to "put it in and forget it" common habits of the end user, the lack of trained hands to work on these units when it comes time to work on them.

Agree, agree agree. All valid points. It still doesn't mean that tankless heaters are not excellent options for the right customer. They aren't for everyone, but they do work, they last a long time, they save money, they provide endless hot water, etc etc etc.

I'm lying if I say I don't have customers, frustated as hell calling me at wits end trying to find someone, anyone to come fix their "save the world" technology they were sold into buying.

Once the contractors in your area learn how to install them correcly, and learn how to sell them, that problem will go away. Remember, I was where you are long ago.

............This coming thursday would be a more realistic timeline, figuring the shipping of products by mail, when dealing with tankless.

Who's fault is that? I stock 10+ tankless heaters at all times, and do them same day all the time. Our trucks all have at least one system and asociated venting on board at all times. Our motto is "go tankless today". That means today. Not Thusday. Just offering some suggestions for you.

Tankless I spaced my paragraphs and one-liners so you could more easily cut and paste my statements a little bit easier. See, I'm here for you. Might not feel that way, but I'm here for you. Kinda like taking you in like a son I never had.

I really appreciate that, it did in fact make this easier to reply. I have a hunch in reality "me being here for you" is more like it. All in all though, I do appreciate the opportunity to spar with you. I hope you have learned something. I myself have learned from this post. I took it upon myself today to learn about hard water, and the problems associated with it. I wouldn't have done that if not for this debate. We're actually going to be testing the customer's water for hardness from here on out to make sure we can be proactive in dealing with those types of problems. It seems that they make a test kit that we can carry. I guess an old geezer like me can learn something new... hopefully you can too.

Ok, one more time... tankless heaters are not for everyone. We sell them to those who want them, not to people who don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Ok, fun reading so far. Gotta add one of my stories to the mix.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I was doing residential service in the Twin Cities. Get dispatched to a call for a WH replacement at 10am. Arrive at the customer's house, customer has a Bosch tankless he bought out of the back of a Popular Science magazine. He already had his 50 gal gas heater drained. Talk to the customer and am told that his current heater cannot cut the mustard. He keeps the thermostat set to the max and runs out of hot water. He averages 3 years on a heater between replacements. I tell him that this is quite odd, and that there may be a problem with the dip tube or a cross connection elsewhere in the house. Customer is not buying my shpiel, and all he wants is his new tankless installed.

Luckily, the customer had 2# gas in his home, which made the gas part easy. After we got the unit hung on the wall, I sent my apprentice out after the venting components. I relocated a portion of his a/c line-set for the venting and connected the water to the tankless unit. The apprenti gets back and we do the venting and finish up the gas.

The water heater location butted against the unfinished side of a bathroom wall.

The male customer had gone back to his job counting beans or pushing paper, and his wife was now home. We fired up the new unit, using an extention cord out of our truck. Lords yes, we had hot water at the nearby laundry tub. I had the lady of the house try it upstairs. Hmm, I thought as I stood next to this tankless wonder, why does your draft fan not churn, I hear the flow of the water. The blower finally started, for 5 seconds, then off for 10 seconds, then on, then off. I yelled to his wife, "Are you running hot water?", "Yes, but it's not hot, it's lukewarm." was the reply. I adjusted the thermostat. "Try it now" I bellered, "Still not hot!" was the reply.

I'd been looking at this old, mid seventies Moen tub/shower valve all day. Just for kicks, I grabbed the lines, hmmm, the hot is cold and the cold is cold. Go to the fixture and run it. Yep, plenty of hot water. Run hot water in the adjacent lav faucet.... it's cold.

Morale of the story. Well, I took a check for $2200 dollars from the customer, plus whatever he paid for the "neverending hot water" machine. It turns out a $20 1225B was all that was causing his problem.

Now, for my opinion.

I come from the upper midwest. We keep our heaters inside. Theoretically, in my opinion, any heat loss from the heater (not counting the flue) goes to heat the conditioned space, which needs heating for 9 months of the year. We don't keep our heaters in garages or outside like some do elsewhere. Additionally, the majority of our water comes from a river, which, right about this time of year, our incoming water temps are right around 35°. In the summer, our incomming water temps are around 55-60°. Additionally, lime is used as a softening agent in our waters. Not quite friendly for tankless heaters.

I tend to be rather pragmatic when it comes to tankless heaters. I have been to a few training classes for different units, but have each time walked away feeling that it's a "not ready for prime time" technology. Many of the sizing examples are overly optimistic, all parts are proprietary to a given manufacturer, and the misnomer of never-ending hot water is one that an installer can easily be 'burnt' by if he doesn't know the ins and outs. Additionally, not alot of plumbers can properly size gas piping. It is insanely simple, but it must be said that it is few and far between that you can find a gas system in a house that can handle an additional 150K btu load.

Many times, if one takes time with a customer to find their motivations, you will find that they either have an undersized system, or an underutilized system. I say underutilized relating to tank temperature. It is amazing the gains in capacity in just 10° of tank temperature. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I push for a tank type system merely for its redundancy. Thermocouple: standard, pilot assembly: standard, gas control: standard, entire unit: readily available. Technological know-how: standard.

Late this afternoon I was cornered by one of our salesmen about installing a tankless in an exisitng home. I'm not so sure he's so sold on selling them now.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
all they got to do is sign that waiver and I will install the best god da// tankless heater I can get my grubby hands on......[/B]

I'd be interested to see one of those waivers...

...or they can install a tankless heater for about $3500++ with
about the same life span results except they can expect a constant temp of 106-----which basically is --- PISSWATER--

Please take your thermometer into the shower with you tonight. Test the water temp. If you can stand more than 106, then you are WAY tougher than I am. Why heat the water with a tankles sup higher than 106 when you are showering? Let's see... pay to heat it up.. then immediately cool it back off before it comes out the shower head. Hmmmm. I'd work in a hill billy wise crack here, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna talk you into getting me tickets to the big race in May.

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I wish I could address each comment...

I'll cut mine shorter this time. The last Bosch unit I installed was $425 for the unit and another $200 for odds and ends.

I don't think I've EVER seen ANYONE run 20 feet of venting... That is just insane -- but that's me. Everytime I've seen it or done it, you either mounted it on an exterior wall, or near one. And move the lines, if needed.

Total material cost has *never* been over $1000.

I may be showing some kind of something to somebody... but I know what I know.

As far as my lawyer charging too much? I'm in the highest per-capital wealth state in the union. That rate is average for an A-class attorney.

Anyway. No point in this conversation. The people who are scared of technology will continue to be so, and those who want to try it will also.

All I can tell you is that in Italy in 1970 tankless wall mounted water heaters were, and still are, the standard in water heating. You heat water when you need it.

As far as the 1/4 degree per hour... I dunno about that one. I have one tank left to deal with in a basement. Right now that basement is 60*f.

Have fun as the battle rages on.

:D

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
OldPete said:
The last Bosch unit I installed was $425 for the unit and another $200 for odds and ends.

I don't think I've EVER seen ANYONE run 20 feet of venting... That is just insane -- but that's me. Everytime I've seen it or done it, you either mounted it on an exterior wall, or near one. And move the lines, if needed.

Total material cost has *never* been over $1000.

Okay, but what do you charge for labor? Total package, what does it run?

OldPete said:
As far as my lawyer charging too much? I'm in the highest per-capital wealth state in the union. That rate is average for an A-class attorney.

Haven't had to get in all close and googly with any attorneys lately. You go you!

OldPete said:
All I can tell you is that in Italy in 1970 tankless wall mounted water heaters were, and still are, the standard in water heating. You heat water when you need it.

200px-

Sherman, set the wayback machine to Italy, circa 1970!!!

Nothing perturbes me more than those who compare us to europeans. The crux of the matter is that europeans live much simpler than we Americans. Sure they may have tankless heaters, but they are not fed the "unending supply of hot water" shpiel that we get. They do still understand a bit of having to wait, that all things are not readily available.

Here is where our cultures are different. Where they can wait, we can't. We have been learned that you can have it all, whenever you want it. Where they can put on a single tank of $5/gallon gas and drive the length and breadth of their country, we cannot. Is one wrong and one right? That is to the eye of the beholder.

Quite simply, don't put your oranges with my apples.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Okay, I'm getting somewhere now

GoTanklessToday said:
What you think you are seeing and what is really happening are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Not really, you are trying to sell something and I'm trying to explain something with no benefit of the subject matter. I forgot < I'm assuming you meant "know" more about water heaters than you will EVER know.Okay internet warrior, you beat me I've been dealing with hot water systems solely for 20 years. And I haven't? I am a working installer who installs 3-4 tanks a day, and 2-3 tankless a week. Damn, you SUPA-MAN! I have installed in excess of 16000 water heaters, YOU ARE, SUPA-MAN! 99.9 % of which were tanks. There was a time when I was ignorant like you and I remember it well. Wow, I'm honored See.... I was installing tankless heaters in 1987. I remember well when they hit the scene here in the northwest. I put 3 in one week, and took them back out the next.Wow, now that is one great revelation tankless, they are doing that in my area too, and it's 2007. TRUST me,I do, it's the internet, I believe everything I read. I was not a proponent of tankless at all. I did everything I could to downplay them. I talked customers out of them a zillion times.I don't do that; I just tell them the truth of what to expect when you buy one.

And for the record, when I say you are ignorant, it is not meant as an insult. Ignorant means "uninformed". "Shows lack of knowlege". Don't worry, I know I'm ignorant, I'm as dumb as a tankless heater mounted on a wall in my tri-state area knowing the costs incurred, the temperature rise due to climate conditions, and this blessed hard water that limes up faucets/angle stops/water lines/fittings/valves/water heaters/aerators........you get the point
I was surely ignorant too right up to that fall day in 2003. I've been that ignaraant and longer since 2003 After that, I couldn't learn enough about them. An addiction I'm sure with financial endeavors that make you join website forums like these that spread the word like a preacher in a church with the world as his audience. Comon, sell me something, show me the way.I dedicated all my free time to learning about them and how to make them work for my customers.I dedicate my free time on these sites and my customers to make sure they make conscientous buying decisions whether it is an angle stop, a jacuzzi tub, a water heater or a 2" fernco. Either way, they get the best knowledge I can throw at them without underlining financial motive and masking the realities of their buying decisions. Why? Because I could see beyond a shadow of a doubt that my customers want them. So, you are toting Sylvia Brown powers huh? I guess if you are installing 16,000 water heaters, I can believe you are in their heads as well.

I do agree. Actually, you agree with me. Or we agree. Whatever you want to say. Your points are valid, well, most of them.Then why is this a discussion at this point . Listen, I know you could sell them in my area. But if you move away years down the road and these people are getting reduced GPM flow out of their units, where are you going to be with the new heat exchanger, and will you replace it for free even though you KNOW people won't maintain them like they should. The answer is no because you can't make money like that. You expect everyone to throw thousands instead of hundreds for these devices. If you are getting it, great. My area doesn't bring that luxury due to the situations in my area. You make it sound like though it can, there's the reason for my opposition. I'm the one getting the calls that are victims of these units because they are failing, miserably with no one to work on them. You jump over that factoid very well.

Why? I know why....it's apparent. You are here to sell your product, nothing else. I'd be viscious like you as well if I know the dollar runs the show. You got more than you bargained for with that "market hype" statement you made in this thread.

Us too. Our trucks roll with 2-3 tanks and a tankless system at all times. DO YOU DRIVE AROUND IN A SCHOOL BUS?????

50 plus years. New wave? Your words my friend, you are the one stating they are a recent addition to the states. Tankless water heaters are 1 to every 2000 in my area.....and I bet that number is a great deal higher on the tank side.

Agree, agree agree. All valid points. It still doesn't mean that tankless heaters are not excellent options for the right customer. They aren't for everyone, but they do work, they last a long time, they save money, they provide endless hot water, etc etc etc. Blah blah blah, you agree but sell sell sell. They do work, I know they work, in unique situations where water problems and temperature rise is NOT an issue. ALSO, trained hands to fix them and parts availability is the keyword you so ignore when these units fail. Listening to you it would have the masses believe that they never fail. That's deception and I'm calling you out to own up to the math.

Once the contractors in your area learn how to install them correcly, and learn how to sell them, that problem will go away. Remember, I was where you are long ago. Okay folks, Tankless believes that any tankless water heater installed that quits working, is solely the fault of the plumber and never the quality of the product. Let's ignore water hardness and product failure, tankless is here to save the day.

Who's fault is that? I stock 10+ tankless heaters at all times, and do them same day all the time. Our trucks all have at least one system and asociated venting on board at all times. Our motto is "go tankless today". That means today. Not Thusday. Just offering some suggestions for you. Come to my area, make your millions, you sound brainwashed by the company that sells you their product enough to glaze the thousands with your implied logic. The rule is that you stick around and deal with the customer relations that follows when you try to sell something that doesn't quite "fit the mold" like you state does, everywhere.

I really appreciate that, it did in fact make this easier to reply. I have a hunch in reality "me being here for you" is more like it.Yep, I've been waiting all my life to find you, here. All in all though, I do appreciate the opportunity to spar with you. I hope you have learned something.I've learned the same thing I've learned from most all internet forum boards that I moderate and are a active member of,

I watch all the questions regarding product choices from across the united states compile on numerous forums with people looking for answers. I then get to see the repetition of posts, product issues and product failures that are either regional or isolated, brand related or comprised of products with humble beginnings. I try to NOT be opinionated on these subject lines but when the advertisers come and join to promote product, I have fun. I exercise my knowledge of the "what ifs" and codes so anyone and everyone can make good conscious buying decisions in relation to plumbing.

I myself have learned from this post. I'm not afraid to learn and I'm pretty sure I'm the first to state that I have many years ahead of me to learn a great deal of this profession. What I refuse to do in your case is agree with some of your selling points that this product works everywhere and if you don't agree with me, well, it's the plumber's fault it isn't working.

Ok, one more time... tankless heaters are not for everyone. We sell them to those who want them, not to people who don't. It's great to see that statement, just educate your buying public of what kind of money their investment entails along with the cost of maintenance if they are not individually capable of doing it themselves.

If anything, you now know that water hardness plays a role in the efficiency of these units, along with tank heaters.

BUT, I would think that if you have installed 16,000 of these,

how come you didn't know that already?

At this point, it doesn't matter if you answer that last question or not.

There is a place for different products at different times at different places and different sizes. All in all I know I'm making valid points for those to understand that I have entirely no financial motive in any of this, NONE.

I don't make anything promoting tank heaters, they've been around for years. But when you are aggressive in "hiding" the facts about any product, I do my best to make sure the whole story is laid out for everyone to see.

I'd want someone like me (consumer) detailing the "what ifs/hows and whys before I spent 1000's of dollars instead of the norm, hundreds.

Those yellow tag energy guides for cost of operation do have some truth to them, you know. I believe electric tank heaters run around $400 a year to operate and gas whether PowerVent or regular flue run around $200-$300

On your number of water heaters, you got me beat by 15,000 I'm sure.

Ryan Seacrest, OUT!

Last edited:

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
As for understanding hard water, like I have said numerous times, we don't have hard water in my area. When I drain a 20 year old tank, every drop will be clear (unless the tank rusted out). We don't flush our heaters here like you have to do in other parts of the country.

And I haven't?

No. I'll bet on it. Maybe 10 years max. But that's just my hunch based on your mentality and your age.

An addiction I'm sure with financial endeavors that make you join website forums like these that spread the word like a preacher in a church with the world as his audience. Comon, sell me something, show me the way

I don't plumb for fun. I don't crawl under houses and wear my knees out because I like it. I missed my chance to marry money. After my time in the USAF, I realized there isn't a real big call for fighter jet crew chiefs in the real world. At the ripe age of 27, I started plumbing. I hate it to be honest. I'd rather fish, hunt and tour the world. But no one gives me anything. So I plumb. Financial endeavors... you bet. Anything that will put money in my pocket and pay for my son's college, then I'm all for it. And I am trying to show you the way. My grandma used to say "there is no one so blind as one who refuses to see"

There is a place for different products at different times at different places and different sizes. All in all I know I'm making valid points for those to understand that I have entirely no financial motive in any of this, NONE.

So lets see if I understand this... you are a professional plumber, who sells your wares, services, etc. Are you telling me that you don't need the income associated with learning new methods and product? Maybe that's the root of the problem.

I don't make anything promoting tank heaters, they've been around for years. But when you are aggressive in "hiding" the facts about any product, I do my best to make sure the whole story is laid out for everyone to see.

That's laughable. It is obvious that you don't know half of the story. Keep it up, you'll get there.

Those yellow tag energy guides for cost of operation do have some truth to them, you know. I believe electric tank heaters run around $400 a year to operate and gas whether PowerVent or regular flue run around $200-$300

Yup, I tell every customer that they will save about 30% on their hot water bill if they are using a gas tank. Then immediately thereafter, I tell them what that actually means. You don't buy one for the savings. You will save, but it's a small number because natural gas is already cheap (here anyway). Electricity and propane are a different story.

What I refuse to do in your case is agree with some of your selling points that this product works everywhere

Don't make me go back and count the number of times I said tankless heaters aren't for everyone. I also admitted that we install way more tanks than tankless, even here in my area that's full of high-techies, and millionaires.

As I glance over your replies, I realize that you are fighting your own battle and chest thumping here like the typical 30 something self described expert. This exchange has gotten away from the main point, and frankly you are starting to bore the hell out of me. So learn them or don't. Just don't try to say you give your customers the whole story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks