Water Pressure Reducing Valve Installation Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

aben

Reaction score
Hi All,

We (my father-in-law and I) recently did a copper refit of most of the pipes in my house and went from very low water pressure with half inch 50 year old galvanized steel pipe to very high water pressure with three quarter inch copper.

I used a water pressure gauge on the bib closest to the main water line shutoff and found that the pressure is well over 100 psi.
So, I'd like to install a water pressure valve to regulate the pressue and bring it down to 75-85 psi. I found a valve at a nearby hardware store, but I'm not sure about how to install this item. Unfortunately, no one at the store had any experience with these valves. I've checked the archives of this forum and have found that I am supposed to install the valve after the main shut off valve. But, I still have a few questions.

How far from the main shut off valve can I install the water pressure valve?

I know that you are supposed to turn a screw at the top of the valve to change the psi setting on the valve, but there doesn't seem to be a gauge or any markings to show you what the new psi will be? Is this simply a matter of trial and error, trying different settings and using the pressure gauge on the bib?

Lastly, the valve itself seems fairly large. The one at the store was designed for three-quarter inch pipe like mine. However, the intake and exit (including the coupling) seem much larger than three-quarter? Am I missing something? I'm assuming that I can simply cut into the exisitng pipe, use two male adapter to connect into either end of the valve. Is that it?

If anyone knows of a manufacturer site that has this sort of info, I'd appreciate a link. That might be faster than trying to answer all of these questions separately. :) Thanks in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prv

You can install it anywhere after the valve, before the line separates into two different directions. The valve is supposed to be installed with at least one union on the outlet side, (and should come with at least one), but I prefer to use the integral threads on the valve to put unions on both sides.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Watts Regulator Products make pressure reducing valves. You can check them out at www.watts.com. As far as checking your pressure, you'll need to put a gauge on a hosebib and check it after installation of the PRV. Unless of course you do like I did and installed a gauge on the waterline itself just after the PRV. My knees are getting too worn out to climb up and down the stairs to check the pressure. lol

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Watts reducers come with installation instructions.
You must install an expansion tank, also.
Try the PRV at the preset pressure--75-85 is still too high--before you attempt to adjust it.
Deb
The Pipewench

Ally68

Reaction score
After I installed my PVR with the pressure at 50 psi even with expansion It only got to 80 PSI and only for a short time.

aben

Reaction score
Expansion Tank??

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

Deb - you mentioned an expansion tank in your reply. However, I do not see a reference to such an item in the instruction for the Watts Series 25AUB valve regulator that I picked up today at a local plumbing supply store.
The instructions are fairly clear; thanks for the recommendation RioHyde.
And, they provide drawings for various types of installation options for this product. No reference to an expansion tank. What is the tank used for typically?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks