New Sink - PVC Maze Assistance Needed! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

BDP

Reaction score
Amateur plumber here, just learning. I've got a new sink I am installing that is on the lower level of my home thus, plumbling goes right into a pvc thru the floor. Photos are of where I am so far. Nothing is glued in yet, so anything you see is just for sizing purposes.

It was suggested that I take a path similar to the photos below. I have included a diagram of what I was told to do as well. So I now have attempted to attach the tee with a female adaptor on top, with a studor vent on top of that. Unfortunately, due to the trap starting so close to the top of the cabinet, there's not enough clearance for that to fit. So what do I do next? Do I need to buy sometime to now extend the drainpipe down lower from the sink so the trap sits lower? The pipe jungle is becoming quite a headache.

Hope the photos can help -- If anyone has any suggestions for a different way to do this I'm all ears, I can always take this stuff back!

sink9.gif

sink10.gif

under.jpg

Much thanks.

Brad

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
All you need to do is to either get a longer threaded tailpiece OR a slip joint tail piece. That will get you enough room to get your air admittance valve in. However, by doing this your trap (now lower) looks like it might wind up in the way of your hot water stop.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get a 6" or 12" Extention and lower the trap. That will give you enough room to install the T and AAV. When you install it raise the AAV up at least 6" higher than the T. I raise them up as high as I am able.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
If it were me, I would lower that first 45 and lengthen the next section of pipe in order to get the vertical pipe and tee against the back wall. Then you can raise your AAV up higher. As already stated, you can alway use extensions to either lower your trap or extend the horizontal piece of the trap, etc...

Good luck

BDP

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice! I have made some strides thanks to your assistance...The extension on the sink drain was the key.

Now I'm just trying to decide the best way to do this. I hadn't thought of trying to bend the pvc to go against the back wall, that's certainly an idea. Looks like I can avoid the hot/cold inlets just fine. Here's a couple photos of what I did. One way I totally got it to hook up using the existing pieces I had without cuts, though I am thinking the second photo might be a better way, but the holes are REALLY close together, I'd need to cut the trap arm down to almost nothing to fit it in. Nothing in these pics is glued yet.

Looking at how I'm doing this, any suggestions? I want to do it right the first time, so if something looks stupid, or if you know a way I can do it better, I'm all ears -- I'm new at this stuff.

Thanks everyone! Photos ahead...

sink15.gif
[/IMG]

sink16.gif
[/IMG]

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That does not look like an AAV.

It looks more like a mechanical vent which is not allowed.

I would also get rid of the accordion and get a straight extention.

Get a real AAV and return the one you have. They are about $20.00

Last edited:

TNPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Aav

I agree with Cass, you need to get an AAV, if you shop at a big box store it will probably be called a studor vent. Also try and get that AAV as high as possible above the trap.

BDP

Reaction score
Thanks folks, good ideas there. I am gonna get rid of the flex piece.

I asked the guy at Home Depot for a studor vent and that's what he gave me. The AAV (or whatever it is) is already up there pretty high, only about another inch before it hits the granite top. What's the danger of using the piece I have or not using one at all? Reason I ask is, first up, $20 is a lot for a piece, and second, it was previously set up without a vent at all and worked fine for 6 years. So what does the vent give me? The guy who built the place didn't use one at all under there, he just went straight down with no openings at all.

ddmoit

Reaction score
The big assumption here is that the AAV is necessary. Do you know for certain that the drain line is not already properly vented, perhaps behind the wall?

BDP

Reaction score
Actually I can see the entire run of pipe because I replaced it all. The whole works goes through that hole in the bottom of the vanity and then right into a larger pipe that's coming out of the cement floor (nothing goes into the wall) -- This is a bi-level home with no basement, so I can't get any further down than that! ;)

I'm not at all saying you guys are wrong -- I'm just asking because if it is necessary, how the heck did it work without problems for the past 6 years (house is six years old) and why did the previous plumber do it that way? The pipes I took out just went from the old drain and straight down into the floor.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
BDP said:
Thanks folks, good ideas there. I am gonna get rid of the flex piece.

I asked the guy at Home Depot for a studor vent and that's what he gave me.

Reguardless of what he gave you that is not an AAV.

You asked us how to do this and we are telling you how to do it right.

$20.00 is not a whole lot of $$$. They stock real AAVs at Low*s, the HDs I have been to don't sell AAVs.

ddmoit

Reaction score
There was at least a trap there before, right? The point of the vent, as I understand it, is to prevent the water in the trap from being sucked out by equalizing the air pressure on both sides of the trap.

I'm sure there is a lot of plumbing in this country that is improperly vented. Some of it probably works OK anyway, but why chance it it you don't have to?

BDP

Reaction score
Absolutely. Like I said I was just curious why it worked without the vent...That was more what I was interested in knowing. $20 is fine if it's going to ensure me a properly working sink.

And yep, there was a trap there before, then just a PVC run straight out the drainage hole in the bottom.

Thanks for the tip on Lowes vs. HD. I will hit Lowes today.

BDP

Reaction score
Ok, got it done, and I have leaks everywhere. The good news is that none of my PVC glue points seem to be leaking (though I must have made a slight error in the assembly as the PVC is slightly crooked, though I don't think that's the issue).

I've taken photos of where the leaks are. I've tightened these up as best I could but have NOT used any thread tape (though I think the problem is bigger than that, at least up at the countertop).

Where the trap meets the trap arm, I can actually see water pooled inside the connector there, after I shut off the water.

There also seems to be a slow leak at the top where the water first comes under (right at the drain) and I'm not sure where else.

So, where to start? What might be the problem here? Photo:

sink20.gif

chasbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your problems continue

One thing , yes the drain worked not being vented , but with out a doubt you could still a sewer gas having been compromized into the building. without you even knowing it, the part that always gets me, we all always try to save a dollar or 2 by doing things ourselves that we feel we can acomplish , then after several trips to the store , we have things done , or all screwed up and in your case you might consider leaving the plumbing to the plumbers, it looks as though you have the sanitary tee the trap goes into and the vent comming off of upside down. Good luck:eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, the T is upside down. Turn it the other way.

Ts are only installed upside down when you are doing normal venting and the T is part of the vent system.

The T having a trap going to it is part of the drain system. There should be pitch going from the trap to the T. If you cut the PVC well below the T you can add a coupling then new pipe, T, female adp., then the correct AAV.

Last edited:

ddmoit

Reaction score
The upside-down tee is not causing the leaks though.

Keep at it, Brad. Looks like you'll have to cut out that tee and replace it. As for the leaks, make sure you have those plastic ring gaskets in correctly. Other than that, make sure those couplings meet squarely. Sometimes if they're torqued a little, they leak.

I'm just an amateur at best, but what works for me is assembling the whole thing very loosely at first, I then slowly tighten all the couplings so that they don't stress each other - if that makes sense.

BDP

Reaction score
Ok, this is kinda bad news. First off I had no idea the that there was a right way and a wrong way for the tee to go. Both top and bottom looked the same to me. Maybe I bought the wrong piece? I'm almost certain that I didn't see a difference in that tee so I didn't pay any mind to which end went up. Since everything in there is totally glued together so closely, and since I am less than an inch from the top of the counter, adding any height to this is going to now allow it to fit. It's quite possible I will have to cut at the base and start completely over.

I wasn't sure about plumbers putty -- The instructions did not instruct me to use any but I wasn't sure. I thought maybe you didn't use it for vessels or something. There are rubber gaskets directly under the drain on the sink side and another rubber gasket flat up against the countertop from underneath. That brass nut you see at the very top is what I tightened to hold it in place. So there's no putty there at all but instructions didn't say to use it.

Ok so I'm sort of stuck here -- what's going to happen if I stop the leaks but don't turn the tee upside down? My plan was to re-tighten everything and try tape. Most of the water IS going down the drain. But what did I screw up by having this tee facing the wrong way? I swear from looking at it both ends looked identical to me...

Anyway, I did go ahead and use some thread tape and refasten all the trap area connections -- Looks like no leaks there now. Just one slow drip coming from right where the sink meets the counter underneath. I didn't use any plumbers putty anywhere there, instructions didn't say to, they did include a rubber washer for both the top and bottom which I thought was the substitute for putty - Figured maybe with a vessel sink you didn't use putty. Am I wrong? Is the lack of putty what's causing that particular link?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you look at that T, you'll see it sort of curves up to where you have the AAV. Inside the T, things are directing the water up; you want it to direct the water down. It will trap crud there, slow the drain down, and because it doesn't flow smoothly by being directed where you want it, not self clean. You'll need to cut it out and insert a new one. You can save the AAV and trap. And yes, the trap is backwards. If you turn it around, then there won't be any water pooling above the connection.

BDP

Reaction score
I see the curve now. Boy do I feel stupid. I didn't even notice before. Thanks for noticing all!

And thanks for all the assistance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks