Shower/tub drip - valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Nashgal

Reaction score
I have a 3 knob shower system that has dripped off and on for years. I used to think it was just the diverter valve because symptom is the water is always "stuck" in the pipe and has to be drained but it didn't matter which way the diverter is turned, there is water dripping.

Years ago, I took on the challenge to repair it. Eventually, I ended up replacing all 3 valves by myself (going back and forth to the home center and a lot of cuzzing). It was about a 3 month on and off project in all. I made some notes in my Reader's Digest Home Repair Manual to help me the next time I decided to take on the challenge.

My repair lasted for a number of years but about a year or more ago the constant drip started. I decided to call the plumber rather than try it again. He came over and tightened the the nut on the TOP part of the valves near the stem and charged me $85. I felt like a schmuck. I wrote myself a note so I could remember just what he did and stuck it in my book.

It has been over a year since his visit and the drip from the shower has started again. I got out my note and pulled of the handles. My note says, "Use SMALLER end of socket wrench to tighten the NUT." I tried this but is was too big for the nut.

I'm assuming that my note that says "21/32" is the valve size. The smaller side of my socket wrench says 21/32 and the larger side says 27/32. Before I take out a valve out and jump in the car to buy a smaller socket wrench to tighten the nut I need some answers and guidance.

1. Approximately how often should people replace washers on valves?
size 000 hot and cold washers and a size 00 diverter. I'm up for doing this.

2. Approximately how often should all of these valves be replaced?
I'm not sure about doing this again.

3. When is it a good idea to consider an investment in a whole new set up? I think I've heard of valveless facets and it sounds pretty good to me. Our house was built in 1978. I've been told I'd have to replace the entire shower/tub stall to do this. There is no access to the back of the tub. (Obviously, I'm not doing this myself.)

4. How must I maintain a valveless system compared to what I have? Are there pros and cons to making the switch besides the cost?

5. Would you recommend any better books for plumbing problems? I'd like one that provides a step-by-step for "Dummies" but will caution me about the degree of difficulty. I'd like to have a sense of when I should opt out and call a plumber. I do like learning but I don't want to tackle another plumbing job that is above my abilities.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
1. Approximately how often should people replace washers on valves?
size 000 hot and cold washers and a size 00 diverter. I'm up for doing this.

As often as needed...time will vary depending on usage and quality of washer, etc.

2. Approximately how often should all of these valves be replaced?
I'm not sure about doing this again.

I very seldom replace the valve stems, just usually repair them.

3. When is it a good idea to consider an investment in a whole new set up? I think I've heard of valveless facets and it sounds pretty good to me. Our house was built in 1978. I've been told I'd have to replace the entire shower/tub stall to do this. There is no access to the back of the tub. (Obviously, I'm not doing this myself.)

It's up to you if/when its a good idea to replace a shower/tub valve.

There's always access to the back of the tub. Whether its backed up to a closet or to the outside wall, its nothing a recipricating saw can't take care of in short order.

4. How must I maintain a valveless system compared to what I have? Are there pros and cons to making the switch besides the cost?

I think you mean "washerless" not valveless. They have parts that wear out in them too and the parts are more expensive and sometimes hard to find.

5. Would you recommend any better books for plumbing problems? I'd like one that provides a step-by-step for "Dummies" but will caution me about the degree of difficulty. I'd like to have a sense of when I should opt out and call a plumber. I do like learning but I don't want to tackle another plumbing job that is above my abilities.

I've seen a bunch of the plumbing how-to-books and they are very general. You'd have to be pretty lucky to have the repair of your particular faucet or shower valve be explained in a repair book.

Have you ever replaced the valve seat??? Those are the little do-dads that the washers press up against in the closed position. I replace those every time I replace washers. A rough valve seat will wear out a washer in very short order.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Agree with Norcal.

I wouldn't tighten the nuts on the valve each time. In my experience they don't need tightening that often. Too tight and you might strip the brass threads.

Sometimes the washers need replacing every year.

Replacing the whole shower/tub will only make things better. Depends if you are up for the project time/money/dust wise.

Nashgal

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about not tightening the valve each time, chassis.

Norcal said: Have you ever replaced the valve seat???
I know what the valve seat is but I can't remember if I changed it when I put in the valves.
I will pull the valves out and examine the washers and the valve seats.

I think you mean "washerless" not valveless. They have parts that wear out in them too and the parts are more expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Yes, I meant washerless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks