How far can a 1/2 H pump push water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I have a shallow well (down pipe is 15 ft) with a 1/2 horse Gould jet pump. Connection at the house is about 150 horizontal feet and at least 30 vertical feet away. I don't know what pressure this system would produce since I just bought the place and it was a mess, including a frozen pipes. I have been fixing it since. It will be used in summer only. I am moving the pressure tank and switch to the house from the pump. Down pipe is 1 1/4" poly and up to the house is is smaller, more like 1" poly.

Do you think that I will have sufficient pressure from this setup? I would like to keep the pump. It is only 2 years old. (unless they lied about that too)

Rick

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
rick.a said:
I have a shallow well (down pipe is 15 ft) with a 1/2 horse Gould jet pump. Connection at the house is about 150 horizontal feet and at least 30 vertical feet away. I don't know what pressure this system would produce since I just bought the place and it was a mess, including a frozen pipes. I have been fixing it since. It will be used in summer only. I am moving the pressure tank and switch to the house from the pump. Down pipe is 1 1/4" poly and up to the house is is smaller, more like 1" poly.

Do you think that I will have sufficient pressure from this setup? I would like to keep the pump. It is only 2 years old. (unless they lied about that too)

Rick

It will push more than 150 ft. The issue is, what is the flow rate? There will be about 5 psi pressure drop in 150 ft of 1" pipe at 10 GPM.

As the pressure increases, the flow will drop off and the pressure drop will become insignificant.

If the house is a lot HIGHER than the pump, then it matters more. But it is still better for producing stable pressure in the house if the tank is in the house. It is important that the pressure switch be at the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks