28 inches wide enough for 5 foot walkway?

Users who are viewing this thread

morequestions

Reaction score
In my new bathroom I have a front load washer and dryer stacked. Next to that I'm putting a closet which will have a counter to fold clothes on and shelves for all of the stuff we need to store in the bath. That section of the bath is 6' long - 3' for washer and dryer and 3' for closet.

The room is sort of a backward P shape. The larger part has the toilet, sink and shower. The part I'm concerned with is the narrow leg of the P. The narrow part of the P is 61" wide. In that section is the w/d stack - on the long wall right next to where it widens out. Half the stack is across from the wider part of the room and half across from the narrower part, about 15". When the louvered doors (bi-fold) go on, that part of the walkway is just 28" wide - for that 15". We were going to make the closet just 24" deep so as not to have such a reduced space for the whole narrow part (which would be about 5' long) But, we're thinking that rather than have two 36" wide closet area that are different depths it would look better if we had the entire area the same depth. Obviously that would have to be the 34" depth of the w/d. That would make a 28" walkway for a length of about 5' rather than just 15")

Is 28" large enough to navigate a 5foot space? The entrance to the bath would be in front of the closet and the door will open out instead of in, so there's no problem with door swing. I just don't know if 28" is too narrow a path.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many residential doors are 28". Pick up a clothes basket, and with some high backed dining room chairs placed that distance apart, try walking between them and see for yourself. Course, navigating through a doorway is different than walking down a hall, but it will give you an idea.

Note, being a pro football linebacker vs a petite housewife would make a difference, too!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks