Threading PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

ddmoit

Reaction score
This is my first post in the general plumbing area of this great site. I've posted in the well forum before though.

Is it possible to thread an existing PVC part? I have an Oatey drain piece that would solve a problem if it were threaded. I'll attach a picture if I'm allowed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• shower 7.jpg
    shower 7.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 287

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I have never done it anything is possible. What is it you want to do besides threading a piece of PVC. What are you trying to accomplish.

ddmoit

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick response, folks!

Cass, I will post a link to a thread in the John Bridge tile forum that details my problem. If for some reason you can't see it, I will be happy to type it out again.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45394

Quick summary: My drain is too high for the thin tile I am using on a Tile-Redi shower pan (that comes with a drain molded in).

R

Rancher

What keeps you from screwing the drain screen down closer than 1/2", can you cut off the bottom to get it down farther?

Rancher

Attachments

• drain cutaway.jpg
    drain cutaway.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 275

ddmoit

Reaction score
The length of the throat was not the problem. There were beads in the top threads of the throat, near the screw posts. I ended up removing those, as well as the entire flange on the top of the throat. I also removed the first thread from the inside of the drain part molded to my pan. I made it work to my satisfaction using the original parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks