replacing flange on copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard S

Reaction score
I'm in the early stage of a bathroom remodel & need to replace the toilet flange. I'm trying to figure out how the flange is attached (glued, sweated, other) & the best way to remove it. I'll have excellent access from both top & bottom as I'm taking the original floor off right down to the joists & on the bottom I just had to remove the dropped ceiling from the downstairs bathroom. All the piping is copper in excellent shape including the bend. Ideally, I'd rather not cut out the bend as I'd hate to cut out perfectly good copper pipe, but will if I have to. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pipe_chlorine.jpg
If it's copper, you might be able to solder on a new one.​
Here is a picture of one I took out of a home.​
The homeowners were saving water by not flushing their toilet.​
The concentrated urine ate the bottom of the copper pipe through.​
You see this a lot in bars where they dump a lot of citric (lemons and limes) down the drain.​
Photo labs require at least some plastic piping.​

Richard S

Reaction score
Terry,
Thanks for your quick reply. After removing the remaining subfloor & throroughly cleaning the flange, it turns out the flange is in good condition. Also, I'm not sure how common my situation is but the flange is copper also.

Richard S

Reaction score
hj,
Even though the flange appears to be in good shape. It's still the original one installed 37 years ago. Would you recommend removing it anyway. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks