Corrosion on copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We have no leaks, so is this a problem? What causes this? See attached photos.

Attachments

• copper plumbing 001A.jpg
    copper plumbing 001A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 505
  • copper plumbing 003A.jpg
    copper plumbing 003A.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 442

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
Could it be you two are actually neighbors?

Least you could have done was wipe your joints when you helped out your neighbour, Rugged! Just a joke, now.

Reaction score
Found the 24th can in my fridge!

Whoa......I wondered where all those empty cans came from. I knocked 'em all over when I tripped on the empty wine bottles I left behind! All those brain cells, shot to hell. No wonder I flunked American Geography! I only just found out that Brier (Washington), which is just north of Seattle (Washington), is a suburb of Northern KY and Cincinnati! :D

And now that you mention it, I always thought it was a good idea to wipe off your joint after installing your pipe. You've just confirmed my suspicions, and I thank you good sir.

But seriously, is it a problem, for like, the future well being of my pipes? Can the corrosion become a conduit for pinhole creationism? Should I consider replacing said sections, or simply bust out the naval jelly and steel wool and call 'er good? Inquiring minds want to know.........:p

Mike (in Brier) (Washington)

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
For the most part, no. That patina effect you see is a reaction of flux on copper and I've never seen it go as far as putting holes in it. It "can" though with big globs of it inside the pipe with numerous years of water passing over it trying to diminish the amount.

What makes it horrible is the fact that if you try to cut that pipe and install fittings......it makes it very hard to clean the pipe to get a new fitting to take.

Sand cloth on the pipe, using flux again and brushing the pipe with a flux brush while it's hot will remove it faster.....along with other preferred methods not involving heat of a torch.

Beer-thirty, gotta go!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks