shallow well pump won't shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

pony

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone has some suggestions. My house was built in the 1970's, and we bought and moved in about 4 years ago. It has a 20 ft. well, and the pump is under the house. We started using the well about 4, 5 months ago. A while ago, the faucet started sputtering, and we realized the well level was low. The pump ran a while before realizing. After the well water level raised, we turned pump on again, no water, (obviously we're new well users), so we primed it. It pumps water, but will never shut off. We have to kick the breaker to shut it off. When it is shut off, no water.
One fellow said the tank may have too much air. The tank isn't a bit heavy, so I'm thinking that may be it. How do I let air out? Also, my one bathroom sink doesn't have hardly any water pressure, but all others in the house does. The tub in the same bathroom does, and the bathroom faucett that has very little pressure, is very old and needs replaced, so I inclined to think that isn't the problem.

Any suggestions?
pony

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hi Pony,

You might have done some damage inside the pump since it ran for a while before you caught the problem. Heat is a big enemy of jet pumps. If it got hot enough, the impeller or nozzle/venturi might be damaged. Or you might have a plugged jet.

bob...

pony

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding. But, how do I check this? Also, if there is too much air in the tank, what do I do to let some out? There isn't a gauge on this tank either, and the valve stem, I cannot press anything at all down in it to relieve air. I know that doesn't sound right...
Sorry I don't know too much about this.

Pony

Speedbump

Reaction score
Maybe it has no air. Do you have a tire gauge. If so, check it just like you would one of your car tires. If no air, you will need to pump some in with and air compressor.

This won't help the pump any though. If it won't build pressure, you either have a horrendous air leak or the pump is damaged or you may have a plugged jet which would in either instance mean disassembling it.

bob...

pony

Reaction score
Bob, where is this propeller, or jet, that may be stopped up?

Pony

Speedbump

Reaction score
Inside the pump. You have to seperate the two halves to see the impeller and jet. Some pumps have the jet on the front held on usually with two bolts.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks