Convert Shower to soaker bath

Users who are viewing this thread

wsmithe

Reaction score
I have a neo angle shower pan, 36" x 36". I'd like to extend the sides so that I can use it as a deep soaker bath or a shower. The pan is fiberglass. The sides must be strong enough to hold water and to support the weight of a person climbing into the shower. Any ideas?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
wsmithe said:
I have a neo angle shower pan, 36" x 36". I'd like to extend the sides so that I can use it as a deep soaker bath or a shower. The pan is fiberglass. The sides must be strong enough to hold water and to support the weight of a person climbing into the shower. Any ideas?

Yes. Replace it with a real bathtub.

You can either do that now, or after you wreck some things below with leaks from your extensions.

A 36 x 36 bathtub would be wretchedly small for a soaker bathtub except for a child or a very small person.

wsmithe

Reaction score
soaker tub

I neither have the budget nor the room for a bath. Soaker tubs of this size exist in Europe and Japan. They are wonderful if deep enough. One sits upright on a little stool. I don't want to demolish my bathroom. It was only recently installed with marble tiles and beautiful fixtures. The shower enclosure is all glass and, for a 6'x6' bathroom, I believe I've made the best of this tiny area which has a toilet to one side of the corner shower and a pedestal sink on the other. However, I long for a soak. After my stay in Japan a few years ago, I was determined to duplicate their soaker baths which range from fiberglass molded shapes to artisitic carved stone and wood. I cannot afford to import this and am hoping for a solution using my existing circumstances. Would acquariam makers be a way to go?

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
right! and beyond your skill level

smithe

you are right that a deep soaker tub is good, no matter how small. Bob is also right to tell you to buy a tub. Based on your first post (description of problem), you don't appear able to build a custom tub. Your description is missing so much, I'm too lazy to tell you what it would need for me to believe you might be the right candidate to correspond with about buiding a custom tub.

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The time to have considered this was before the room was remodeled. Now it would be virtually impossible to extend the base of the shower and make any kind of strong permanent watertight extension to them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks