(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Convert Shower to soaker bath

Default Convert Shower to soaker bath

I have a neo angle shower pan, 36" x 36". I'd like to extend the sides so that I can use it as a deep soaker bath or a shower. The pan is fiberglass. The sides must be strong enough to hold water and to support the weight of a person climbing into the shower. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wsmithe
    I have a neo angle shower pan, 36" x 36". I'd like to extend the sides so that I can use it as a deep soaker bath or a shower. The pan is fiberglass. The sides must be strong enough to hold water and to support the weight of a person climbing into the shower. Any ideas?
    Yes. Replace it with a real bathtub.

You can either do that now, or after you wreck some things below with leaks from your extensions.

A 36 x 36 bathtub would be wretchedly small for a soaker bathtub except for a child or a very small person.

Default soaker tub

I neither have the budget nor the room for a bath. Soaker tubs of this size exist in Europe and Japan. They are wonderful if deep enough. One sits upright on a little stool. I don't want to demolish my bathroom. It was only recently installed with marble tiles and beautiful fixtures. The shower enclosure is all glass and, for a 6'x6' bathroom, I believe I've made the best of this tiny area which has a toilet to one side of the corner shower and a pedestal sink on the other. However, I long for a soak. After my stay in Japan a few years ago, I was determined to duplicate their soaker baths which range from fiberglass molded shapes to artisitic carved stone and wood. I cannot afford to import this and am hoping for a solution using my existing circumstances. Would acquariam makers be a way to go?
    Last edited by wsmithe; 01-23-2007 at 06:47 AM.

Default right! and beyond your skill level

smithe

you are right that a deep soaker tub is good, no matter how small. Bob is also right to tell you to buy a tub. Based on your first post (description of problem), you don't appear able to build a custom tub. Your description is missing so much, I'm too lazy to tell you what it would need for me to believe you might be the right candidate to correspond with about buiding a custom tub.

david

Default tub

The time to have considered this was before the room was remodeled. Now it would be virtually impossible to extend the base of the shower and make any kind of strong permanent watertight extension to them.

And then there's the problem of climbing in/out over the 3-4 foot high sidewall.....

Default soaker tup

Thank you for all your input.