Wall mounted lavatory faucest-good,bad,ugly?

Users who are viewing this thread

LT_DIY

Reaction score
How do you vent the lavatory with a wall mount faucet?

I'll post here and maybe revive this thread...

I am considering a wall mount faucet for a new lavatory installation. The valve models I have looked at all install in the 2x4 wall cavity, leaving no room to run the vent line up to the ceiling.

How do you vent a lavatory with a wall mount faucet? I can see making a 90 degree bend with the vent line over to adjacent study cavity. But, aren't all vent bends supposed to be six inches above the plane of the sink? That doesn't seem possible to achieve. The faucet valve is in the way before that height.

What's the standard practice? Any advice would be great before I make any purchases. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

If you install a wall mount faucet, you had better be sure it is "timeless" because you will have a major remodeling job if you ever decide to change it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe a 2" vent would be possible in that wall cavity, but the real concern is as HJ put it. You will have a major problem if you ever want to change. I would suggest thinking long and hard about this before committing to it.

LT_DIY

Reaction score
vent for wall mount faucet

Thanks for the feedback so far. That's a good point that the valve should be good quality and still would be installed with some risk. I'm still thinking it over, but looking at a Kohler valve. There is a picture of it and a link to the rough in directions below. I don't see room for a 1 1/4" vent, let alone a 2" vent behind or in front of the valve.

It looks like the valve frame is designed to be attached to two horizontal 2x4's secured across the wall cavity. My first thought is to center the fixture, the valve, and the drain for the P-trap all on the cavity. But from the San-T, how could the vent make it up to the ceiling? It's gotta get by the valve somehow...

Has anyone installed one of these that passed inspection?

Rough-In Instructions

ccc08861.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, my experience with Kohler will preclude me from ever thinking about their products in my own home. Parts are often expensive, and sometimes just plain unavailable, leaving you up a creek.

Another issue with a wall mounted faucet is the design of the sink. Depending on the water pressure, position of the spout, shape of the bowl, and the will of the gods, turning it on might just cause it to reflect back out the other side, dousing you in the process. A deck mounted or sink mounted faucet is more likely to preclude that from happening, partly because it will be closer, and in a more conventional position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks