(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall mounted lavatory faucest-good,bad,ugly?

ok ok. The most practical answer is to tell you that there is no site, and you have to design your own circuit and buy valves ($5) and put them where you want to. If you install two valves in series you will really have a tremendous ability to control flow down to the level you'll need, without risking causing a constriction noise in the flow.

Rob, the faucet does not have an embedded valve. I wish it did.

There is no standard. You build your supply line, choosing your materials (copper, plastic, etc) and where you put your bends and vavles. Sorry. This is a clear answer, in my opinion. Not evasive. Hope this helps.

David

It may be relevant to add that any faucet can let out so much water that it splashes. Not just because it is wall-mounted. I think it is not a wall-mount problem.

(Edit, next day: however, I think it is correct to say there can be a form of calibration error, where the tip of a wall-mount faucet gets aligned over the center of the bowl, so a full flow will impact the flat part of the sink. Faucets mounted on the 'deck' (flat, horizontal, countertop) will already have their tip directed down onto the curve (back wall) of the sink so that a full flow hits the sink wall on an angle instead of flat on. So it seems to me.)
    Last edited by geniescience; 06-14-2006 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add more terminology.

Default The Splashback

Just a quick question for anyone who would know -- about the splash problem with wall mounted faucets. Can you just attach a diffuser to the spout? From the ones I've seen, they just screw into the end of most faucets. I guess the question is do all faucets have threads at the spout? I'm dying to do a remodel of our powder room and would love to do a wall mount on granite tile. Anyone have any experience with that? One picture I've seen showed the two tiles with the spout centered on the line between the two tiles with the handles to the right and left. I was thinking that would be easier for the granite cutting to put the spout in the center on the edges with two round holes on the corners.

Thanks!
    Mary Lou

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

WIth the right diamond coring drill bit, putting the holes anywhere they look good is fairly straighforward.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default valve

You mount the faucet where you want it and then the granite installers make the hole where it has to be.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

I have problems with faucets splashing as well and it's not the faucet but the design of the basin.
    If you put a faucet and the aerator is pointed anywhere other than the drain you run the risk of the basin splashing.
    Same goes with Kitchen faucets as well, so to say a wall mount faucet will splash is not correct and was probably installed incorrect.
    I had a customer who bought a glass vessell bowl and a Jado Glance vessell faucet and when he turned it on it flowed down one side of the bowl and up and over the other side onto him and his floor.

Question How do you vent the lavatory with a wall mount faucet?

I'll post here and maybe revive this thread...

I am considering a wall mount faucet for a new lavatory installation. The valve models I have looked at all install in the 2x4 wall cavity, leaving no room to run the vent line up to the ceiling.

How do you vent a lavatory with a wall mount faucet? I can see making a 90 degree bend with the vent line over to adjacent study cavity. But, aren't all vent bends supposed to be six inches above the plane of the sink? That doesn't seem possible to achieve. The faucet valve is in the way before that height.

What's the standard practice? Any advice would be great before I make any purchases.

Default faucet

If you install a wall mount faucet, you had better be sure it is "timeless" because you will have a major remodeling job if you ever decide to change it.

I believe a 2" vent would be possible in that wall cavity, but the real concern is as HJ put it. You will have a major problem if you ever want to change. I would suggest thinking long and hard about this before committing to it.

Default vent for wall mount faucet

Thanks for the feedback so far. That's a good point that the valve should be good quality and still would be installed with some risk. I'm still thinking it over, but looking at a Kohler valve. There is a picture of it and a link to the rough in directions below. I don't see room for a 1 1/4" vent, let alone a 2" vent behind or in front of the valve.

It looks like the valve frame is designed to be attached to two horizontal 2x4's secured across the wall cavity. My first thought is to center the fixture, the valve, and the drain for the P-trap all on the cavity. But from the San-T, how could the vent make it up to the ceiling? It's gotta get by the valve somehow...

Has anyone installed one of these that passed inspection?

Rough-In Instructions

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Personally, my experience with Kohler will preclude me from ever thinking about their products in my own home. Parts are often expensive, and sometimes just plain unavailable, leaving you up a creek.

Another issue with a wall mounted faucet is the design of the sink. Depending on the water pressure, position of the spout, shape of the bowl, and the will of the gods, turning it on might just cause it to reflect back out the other side, dousing you in the process. A deck mounted or sink mounted faucet is more likely to preclude that from happening, partly because it will be closer, and in a more conventional position.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014