I found my basement toilet drain has a lead sleeve over the flange going into the cast iron. What purpose does it serve? To smooth the inside surface when a set screw mounted flange has been used??

If I remove this sleeve to inspect the flange and replace the toilet mounting bolts, are replacements (or substitutes) still available?