Replacemnt of original 1940's Standard Modernus Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

CHRISB

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to ascertain the best way to replace an existing toilet in my house built in the mid forties. I have an original (it appears) Standard Modernus toilet that is a two piece that is presently in place. I just want to update toilet to a modern one and I am afaid if I start the project it may end up bigger than I anticipate. I am handy and have installed new toilets but never when the original was this old. My secondary problem is I will have limited access below the bathroom to access if needed. Any advice I what I should attack first? I am not even sure if old toilets are compatible with the new ones.

TedL

Reaction score
The most important queston: Is it your only toilet?

Secondly, are there any problems with the curent toilet's mounting (rocking, moving,etc.) What's the sub floor material? Finish floor? Does it sit directly on the finished floor? Are you changing the floor?

If not, covering the footprint of th old toilet could be a major issue, especially if your current floor was installed around it. If it's tile that runs underneath, that probably would clean up OK if the new foorprint doesn't cover the old.

The input and output connections are pretty much the same, though made with different materials today.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks