Bathfitter, Anyone ever use Bathfitter?

Users who are viewing this thread

lat

Reaction score
Beware of Bath Fitter

Horrible work was done by Bath Fitters on my parents home.

My mom contracted Bath Fitter to install a tub and wall liner in their main bathroom for $3500. This is a high price for this amount of work.

A Bath Fitter employee measured the area with a laser. The employee measuring assured my dad that the liner would "fit like a glove".

When it came time to install, a number of weeks later, the installer (who told my dad that he had been working for the company for 4 weeks) took the existing lino off the wall and some of the plywood that was behind, replaced the faucet/shower controls and put drywall up, without the existing shims that had been installed behind the original plywood. This caused the drywall to be recessed in relation to the surrounding wall.

In order to bring it back flush with the surrounding wall, he used 5/8" thick strips of soft putty spaced about 8" apart on top of the drywall, which was supposed to support the flexible plastic liner. There is no way soft putty will properly support the thin, flexible wall liner.

Then, he said there was a problem with the tub, and needed to call his supervisor. The supervisor came on site and told my dad that the tub needed to come out 1/2" in order for them to install the liner. Maybe they would have caught that when they measured?!?

According to the supervisor, this would require removal and replacement of the tub with a new one, for an extra 700-1000 dollars.

He also said that the existing wall was too flexible. He said it was 1/4" plywood. My Dad said it was actually 3/8" plywood. After hearing that, the supervisor didn't say anything.

He then said they would have to reschedule the work since the job scope had changed. He said he would call back at 8:30 the next morning. That was over a week ago.

He also told my dad that he had two options, either pay them the extra money to finish the job, or cancel the work and they would leave the job as is. They are trying to pressure my parents into forking out more money for nothing.

lat,

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

bath tubsm.jpg

plumbtired

Reaction score
Yeow!

To Lat in Edmonton::eek:

That is simply horrid tale about a Bathfitter franchise...and I STRONGLY suggest you contact Bathfitter's corporate office (I assume it is also the correct contact point for Canadian customers) about this at: Toll-free: 1-800-892-2847 or via email,
infobath@bathfitter.com

My previous experience with Bathfitter corporate has been very positive. Your parents have not been treated like valued customers and you certainly should contact Bathfitter's corporate office about this despicable situation.

Good luck!:eek:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
looks like a mess to me

I once worked for a company like this....installed the faucets for them for about 6 months.. told them to take
a hike....didnt need the greif.

I was impresed with the product but I was never impressed with the installers putting up the product.

I would tell them to give you back all your money and just install a fibergalss Sterling tub....if it all has to be torn out anyway...

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The bath fitters are not plumbers. The only license that they have ,is a driver's license, and even then it should be revoked.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
We enjoy a better than 99% customer satisfaction rate and are working hard for that last fraction of a percent.

This sounds very good BUT...

#1 - I am curious as to how you come up with the 99%?

#2 -How long of a time period and how many people do you track for that 99%?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
their workers are certainly not plumbers...

What I was impressed with was the fact that these
fellows would come out to your home and in only
one day they would usually have the whole job done
from start to finish..

a couple of them acutally would stay way past dark if necessary to get the job done in one day.....

I finally had to ask the owner of the company where he found fellows willing to work this hard for so little money
cause I could not get my plumbers to even consider
working that long.......

I wondered what made them so loyal to this jerk???.

I asked him if they were on some sort of work release program from the local prison....

he was not amused......

LOL..

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I had an acrylic bath solution fitted by a small, independent contractor a few years ago. He did an excellent job, for a lower price.

It took him a week. He was clear what he could and could not do. I did some plumbing (replaced the toilet & vanity), hired a licensed plumber to do some other plumbing (the tub drain and shower faucet), and left him to retile the floor and fit the tub and wall liners...not in that order but you get my jist (it went plumber, tile floor, acrylic solution, me).

Shop around. There are alternatives.

Last edited:

lat

Reaction score
Bath Fitter stands behind their product

I am very happy to report that Bath Fitter is standing behind their product.

My parents and I met with Dale, who did a fabulous job of making time for us and listening to our serious concerns. He acknowledged that errors were made and that they will provide my parents with a new tub and install the wall liners at the initial price my parents agreed to. Dale was very professional and understanding about the situation my senior-aged parents were in.

The products should be installed within a couple of weeks, and I will update my report based on the outcome of the actual installation, but based on my experience with Dale, I am far more optimistic about a positive outcome.

Thanks Dale!

detroit

Reaction score
Love my Bathfitter liner!

I had my tub, walls, and ceiling done by Bathfitter in Livonia, Michigan about 8 years ago and it still looks brand new. I just love the seamless walls and never had a problem with anything. Salesman wasn't pushy at all and the installers were in and out in one day. They did a great job and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Keep up the great work BATHFITTER.

BathtubGuy

Reaction score
nottingham, Englund, Where Robin Hood lives
I've got a pretty old house, but in a good way - prefer old designs. One of the things I bought to go with it was a vintage bathtub.. now I have to say I don't know much about installing this kind of thing myself so I brought in what I thought were professionals.

I think it's fair to say I had all the problems above and more - and guess what they told me at the end? That because I bought a vintage bathtub it was MY fault because they weren't sure on the installation. I then pointed out that it wasn't a literal 'vintage' design and that it was only created to look like one. I even linked them to http://www.vintagetubandbathreviews.com/ to show them what I was on about. Frankly it was my fault, at my age I should know better and do my homework before trust people with such valuable items.

Oh well, still learning at my age :)

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had my tub, walls, and ceiling done by Bathfitter in Livonia, Michigan about 8 years ago and it still looks brand new. I just love the seamless walls and never had a problem with anything. Salesman wasn't pushy at all and the installers were in and out in one day. They did a great job and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Keep up the great work BATHFITTER.

Once upon a time, evil dwarfs were living in hills, forests and mounds. They were stumpy, misshapen, humpbacked, with a long nose, long hair and a long tail. Trolls were inclined to thieving, and fond of carrying off children. They would substitute one of their own offspring for that of a human mother. They were called "hill-people", and they were especially averse to noise, from a recollection of the time when god Thor used to fling his hammer after them. Not all trolls were evil!. Some trolls were helping people. Some trolls were only playing games. But, evil trolls were the one that kids were most afraid of. Some trolls were small, other were giants.

denniscook

Reaction score
after having a liner installed we notice a very bad smell this was caused by the toxic mold that grows between the tub and the very costly liner. We contacted the liner company and we were told that it was not covered by the warranty. We had the liner removed by men that had to wear hazmat suits. Then the tub was resurfaced. Recently I found out that there are numerous class action law suits against these liner companies.

vapat75

Reaction score
I asked a bath fitter rep. at Home Depot, he quoted a price $5,000.00. He must have thought Oh a women, I'll get this one. I won't have one now if they gave it to me. Especially from reading these posts.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why would you want to cover up a moldy wet wall with a cheesy panel and just hide the problems.

These solutions are band aids and not a proper fix.

I would love to see CNN or some news reporter do an undercover story on this business.

JW

Scott M

Reaction score
I reside in WNC. I have had all three types of showers done with excellent results.1. Bath Fitter completely gutted and replaced a leaky builder installed stall corner shower changing swing door to slider 5 years ago, No leaks, easy clean, looks new. Butyl caulk formed some mildew, and was replaced by them once, as installs carry warranty as long as you own your home. 2. Next they installed a tub and tile overlay in a rental, also 5 years ago, no problems. Just make sure tenants keep tub/wall caulk mildew free with white vinegar. Still looks new. 3. Another rental 2years ago, I personally used a reglaze kit from H*me D**ot on a 1940 tub, following directions EXACTLY. Still shines. Is used daily. I expect a pro job would be smoother, but runs +-$500. The secret is to fully clean, allow to completely dry, then not cut or drop anything sharp on the finished surface. Still, using an overlay is a better fix, but runs about $1000 without extras or additional prep. The beauty of an overlay is speed and minimal demo, but any underlying problems must be addressed, as they would for a conventional install, to insure a long lasting result. Whoever you choose, speak to previous customers, and check that they are established, get guarantee.

bath fitter.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I took pictures of this job in Redmond the other day. They even changed the tub/shower valve to a new Moen Posi-Temp
They took the walls to the ceiling and the homeowner was quite impressed. I was there to replace some parts in a toilet.

bathfitters-terrylove-02.jpg

bathfitters-terrylove-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks