Clean out threaded cap ABS leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Riosman

Reaction score
I have two clean out thread caps leaking when I test the drain system by filling it up at the top of the vent. I have tried Teflon tape then teflon tape with thread seal for ABS pipe. The leak is a drop per hour or less.
This will be inspected. I dont know how critical it is

What other options are there?

Riosman

Reaction score
I used "teflon enriched pipe thread sealent" "Tplus 2"

Is teflon paste different?

I never tried the sealent alone I used it with teflon tape.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I have used both the tape and paste with good results but for really stubborn leaks I find the best is bowl wax...
I have a small plastic tub with a bowl wax I put in it - had it for a year or so and still have lots left...
I smear a fair amt on the threads of the plug using whatever is handy (even my finger if nothing else is available) and have never had a leak with this arrangement...

Riosman

Reaction score
The bowl wax method only uses the wax ? No tape, no paste

Hopefully no probem... I will try it tomorrow

thepilo

Reaction score
I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to let you know that this worked for me as well. I had a stubborn leak from a PVC to Cast Iron Drain Clean out, and used Toilet Bowl wax, very liberally, and it worked. It was hard to seal, cause my Septic has failed, and when I take a Shower, the water fills up, and creates pressure on the seal, and both teflon tape, and pipe compound leaked. This held very well, no leaks (Converting to sewers ASAP BTW)

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks