water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

DarylF08

Mec. Elect. Engineer
Reaction score
I have a watersoftener that is about ten years old.
I am moving it, so I emptyed all the old salt and was going to
replace it with new. When I took the softener apart, the resin
tank had the rotten egg smell. I emptied all the water and now
I don,t know if I need to replace the tank. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank You.
Daryl

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
There are folks here who can give you some good advice as to what to actually do, but I do know softener tanks can be treated without taking them apart, and that they can also be refurbished by replacing the stuff inside. Personally, I would tend to doubt you need a new one.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The odor is from bacteria in the resin bed. You can sanitize the resin by filling the resin tank to just above the resin and adding a gallon of water containing a 1/4 cup of non-scented regular household bleach. Let it sit for an hour and then pour out the water and refill the tank to above the resin.

If the softener was still assembled, you'd add the bleach to a gallon of water and pour it into the brine tank and do a manual regeneration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks