Bathroom rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

wolfpack

Reaction score
Hello. I am preparing to rough in a new master bath, and I am hoping you can give me some advice. First off, I am a very experienced remodeler and have installed tubs, showers, toilets,etc. but I always use the existing plumbing or only have to slightly modify it. This is a completely new addition, so I want to make sure I get it right. I will have a tub, shower, toilet and lav in this new bath. All of the DWV will run to the home's main stack about 20 feet away. Since there is a basement, I will have no problems achieving the 1/4" per foot drop required. I am planning on running 3" pvc for the connection between the new bath and the main stack. My question is related to placement of the fixtures and venting. As it stands now, the 3" run will have the following fixtures tying into it in this order: tub, toilet, shower then lav. Is that ok? Also, is it okay to only have one 2" vent that comes off of this 3" pipe? My thought was to have the 2" vent fall about 2' from the toilet and loop all the way to the main vent stack (about 20' again). Does this sound like a reasonable plan? If not, can you give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
very good so far.

(i'm not a plumber) One thing I would do is put more venting in the design at the start -- easy when it is still only on paper. Otherwise I cannot comment. I would have a vent come down to connect
1.) between tub and toilet
2.) between toilet and shower
3.) and a 1.5" at the lav that the lav P trap connects to

You seem to know your stuff; you covered everything in very few words.

david

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Sketch a layout of the planned bath - where the drains for the fixtures will be, where the current stack is, which are interior vs exterior walls (for venting etc...) and dimensions...
That will give us more info to work with...

wolfpack

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will try to get a sketch uploaded to clarify what I am doing. Thanks again!

wolfpack

Reaction score

Ok, here is a sketch of my bathroom. Hopefully this will help make sense of what I am trying to do. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 7,732
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i take back what i said above

wolf

based on what you drew, you are missing a lot more than a vent. Of the four walls, which ones can you send a vent down inside? Tell us that first please. The principle is to orient, or direct, your drains to the vent and then combine the now-vented waste pipes.

david

p.s. also draw the thickness of the walls please. I don't understand how the shower fits in the wall.

Last edited:

wolfpack

Reaction score
Of the four walls, I can vent: toilet wall, shower wall, lav wall. This is over a basemet that will be finished, so I am trying to run the main 3" line as close to the center of the room as possible to avoid conflicts with future finished sapce.

Racer814

Reaction score
2 " vent on the lav. tie the lav drain into the shower drain...lav is now wet venting the shower....

2" vent on the tub... use a 2" combination turned up under the floor and run your tub drain into it and tie into the water closet line....tub is now wet venting the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

This may be a case of it being very easy to DO, but very difficult to explain, since we are not there to see the actual construction, such as divider partitions, knee walls, etc., where the vents might be easily located.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Here is one take on the plumbing...
WC and tub vented together and shower and lav vented together...

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 5,958
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6,040
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 5,851

wolfpack

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am going to start this project very soon. I will let you know how things go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks