New Toto Drake GMAX fill valve dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

trout_chaser

Reaction score
I just installed a new Toto Drake last evening. It works great. Woke up in the middle of the night to a dripping sound. Fears of water leak were not confirmed either at the floor or bottom of the tank. When I took the lid off the tank, I saw that the water level was about 1 inch below the line on the overflow tube where I had watched it fill to after flushing. The GMAX fill valve had a drip coming out on the front. I flushed it, and it immediately filled to the line and cut off hard as it had been doing. No drips immediately after it cuts off, but I did notice that in addition to the jet of water at the back of the GMAX valve there is water dripping from the front also when it fills. Check in morning confirmed same behavior.

I have 4 questions:
1. In addition to the jet of water out of the GMAX when it is filling after a flush, is the dripping at the front normal?
2. Where is the water going? I will try the food coloring trick tonight to see if it is the flapper.
3. Even if the flapper is leaking, why is the fill valve not turning back on and keeping the tank full?
4. What is the drip?

Thanks in advance for any help with solving this hopefully small issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have 4 questions:
1. In addition to the jet of water out of the GMAX when it is filling after a flush, is the dripping at the front normal?
2. Where is the water going? I will try the food coloring trick tonight to see if it is the flapper.
3. Even if the flapper is leaking, why is the fill valve not turning back on and keeping the tank full?
4. What is the drip?

1) dripping is normal, part of the antisphon feature
2) could be the flapper is the tank is losing water
3) the water needs to drop a ways before the fill valve can fill again. lift up the flapper a bit, and you will see it fill again.
4) part of the antisiphon. it's a one way valve.

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

toto_gmax_parts.jpg

Last edited:

trout_chaser

Reaction score
Thank you for the help

Thank you for the great web site. It was based on your recommendations and the great reviews that I sought out a Toto Drake here in Virginia.

Last night I did the food coloring trick. It is the flapper leaking although it seems to be slowing down. Overnight it only lost about 1/2 inch out of tank instead of the 1 inch like the night before. I really don't feel any irregularities in the seat for the flapper or the flapper lip itself.

Is it possible that it just needs to "settle in" and get seated well before the leak completely stops? I really didn't do anything that should have changed the behavior.

If the tank level does not drop, will the fill valve quit dripping?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Flapper leaks: Spray with Silicone spray, or replace.

At rare times, it can be the seating of the flush valve at the tank. A little sanding with emory cloth on the china where the seal sets will fix that.

If the water is full in the tank, the valve should shut off.
If the water level drops, then the valve will fill.
If the valve sputters when the tank is full, it may need cleaing or replacement

Since this is a new tank, and the water is dropping, you have to decide whether to replace or tweak it.
Sometimes when I'm doing installs, I will do a tweak rather than exchange, mainly because I know what tweaks I can do, and it's quicker than a trip back with a new tank. I feel that a tweaked tank could be a little better too.
However, sometimes it's nice to just exchange it for one that's right. Kinda keeps them on their toes.

I would start with the flapper.

gmax_flushvalve.jpg

Two styles of the Toto flush valve with flapper.

Last edited:

trout_chaser

Reaction score
Thanks I will give the silicone spray a shot then move on to the sanding if necessary. If I have to pull the tank off to sand, I can reuse all of the rubber gaskets can't I since they are only two days old?

Gailb

Reaction score
Leaky bolts

I just bought 2 Toto Drakes and had them installed. I really like them; however, they both have a small leak from one of the bolts on the underside of the tank. My plumber has tried new flapper seals, new washers for the bolts - this didn't work. We're trying putty now to see if that works.
Has anyone had this experience - and a solution?

Stymied in Tucson

trout_chaser

Reaction score
Update on problem and resolution

I did get the problem resolved.

I did verify with the the food coloring trick that the water was going into the bowl. The silicon spray seemed to slow the water level dropping in the tank temporarily, but it did not resolve the issue.

I finally decided after a week of messing with it to return the tank to the local distributer for a replacement. It seemed if I was going to have to pull the tank off anyway, that would be the most sure fix.

Unfortunately, the replacement tank had a crack, that I luckily noticed before I installed it. The local distributer again provided a replacement tank.

Third time was a charm. The replacement tank does not lose water, and the GMAX valve does not drip. It is a truly remarkable performance toilet, and I am very pleased. My local distributer was always helpful and stood behind the product which they were also very enthusiastic about.

Even with the initial issues with the first and second tank, I would highly recommend this toilet to anyone.

Thanks Terry and all for the great website, reviews, and help with the debug.

Tnixa

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem as trout_chaser with my new Toto Ultramax. I discovered a very small piece of plastic (or whatever material the flush valve is made out of) that was interfering with the flapper causing the water to slowly leak into the bowl. After sanding down the small piece of plastic the leak problem was resolved. I'm guessing this is a common problem with this flush valve if more people have this problem besides me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm guessing this is a common problem with this flush valve if more people have this problem besides me.

Not at all common. It almost never happens where the flush valve seat has a problem.
You were just unlucky.
I sell a few thousand a year, and I haven't had to fix that problem in the last few years.

2/6/2019
Update: I did do one flush valve replacement this year. Still......a very small percentage of all of the tanks and bowls I sold this year. So, it can happen.
Most times it can be a simple flapper or seal replacement.

Last edited:

dc202

Reaction score
My brand new ECO Ultra Max has the same problem. Tracked it to the overflow device that had a nick in the rim where the flapper fits. The nick prevents the flapper from getting a good seal. Toto is sending me a replacement. I am not thrilled by the lack of response from the dealer who sold it to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks