Water pressure regulator noises

Users who are viewing this thread

mvered

Reaction score
I recently moved, and I noticed that the water pressure regulator makes a clicking noises. The noises occurring when there are no water running (all the faucets are closed). Is the WPR faulty?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get a pressure gage and check your water pressure when no water is flowing then check it with an outside faucet wide open and see what the difference is.

Normally there is no noise from a PRV when the water is not flowing. I suspect the noise is coming from elsewhere.

You can get a pressure gage from one of the big box stores.

mvered

Reaction score
The inspection, before I got the house, checked the water pressure in the house and said it was a little high but ok.
I stayed home today and I noticed that the water pressure regulator makes a faint clicking sound all the time. It doesn’t matter if the water is running (like when my wife takes a shower) or not. I listened very closely and the sound came from the regulator. Why is it making noises?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like I said, regulators do not make any sound if water is not flowing. If the regulator is in close proximity to your water meter you may want to check it. Some meters have a built in spring check valve that can make clicking noises, when water is flowing.

With all the fixtures in the house off look and see if the leak detector, on the meter, is moving. This will tell you if there is water is flowing or not. Even with all fixtures off there may be a small leak giving you flowing water.

Often times the meter can make noise and the noise can travel and seem to be coming from somewhere else.

MAURICIO P MACHADO

Reaction score
I also had this for a few days now. I turned off the main line in my garage. (Some of you may have it located in the basement). I turned the lever off for 30 seconds, turned it back on for 30 seconds, turned it off for 30 seconds and back on. No more clicking noise for me.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also had this for a few days now. I turned off the main line in my garage. (Some of you may have it located in the basement). I turned the lever off for 30 seconds, turned it back on for 30 seconds, turned it off for 30 seconds and back on. No more clicking noise for me.
Good luck with that.

Go around the house and check for dripping outside faucets with vacuum breakers on them. A leaky shower faucet with a vacuum breaker on it can make funny noises also. The drips will have to be fixed, if they are there, to stop the noise. Do check the house pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks