Replacing tub with tiled shower walls & floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Troy Bieger

Reaction score
OK, I am posting here for the first time. I have been reading from this forum for a while and have seen some related posts - unfortunately lost all my history in a computer crash. :(

We have a fiberglass tub that is old, ugly and impossible to get truly clean. Its out of here!

The tub spans the full width of a small bathroom (5'). The wall above the tub has a window in the middle about 5 above the floor. I would like to tear out the old tub. Build a small wall extension cutting the space from 5' down to about 3' 8" (at the edge of the window opening or just past it. This would leave a small "linen" shelf opposite of the shower head side.

The idea then is to build up a small (4") or so ledge and install a shower pan or liner and tile the enclosure. The this would leave a shower stall just a little longer than it is wide.

Trying to keep costs down, I would rather leave the drain where it is and shape the pan/liner to it even if it means a bit of an odd drainage slope on the floors.

I'm thinking of doing the tub removal/demo, wall and ledge build up myself then having a plumbing contractor install the pan and prep for the tile which I would also do myself. Alternatively, if I can get the right instructions and materials to do the pan/liner myself, I may do the whole thing.

Am I crazy to be thinking of this? - I am usually pretty handy when I have the right tools and instructions. This site has been a wealth of knowledge already.

I would appreciate any advise and or suggestions...

Thanks!

~Troy

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may need to replace the drain anyway. Tub drains are usually 1 1/2" while shower drains are 2".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks