Compression fitting with plastic pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
Hi - I'm installing a new cold water shutoff valve under my kitchen sink. The valve I have is chrome plated, solid brass. It has a compression fitting for the outlet to my kitchen faucet. My question: will my current gray, plastic supply tube that goes from the valve up to the faucet, work with the new valve's compression fitting? In other words, will copper compression fittings accept a PB plastic supply tube?
Thanks

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I would replace the grey PB with a braided supply hose - it is far too easy for the PB hoses to break as they get brittle with age.

donk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
1st - I don't see how one of the braided supply tubes will fit into my brass valve with compression fittings. They all seem to have threaded connections?

2nd - You say I should use a plastic ferrule (instead of a brass one). My local hardware store doesn't seem to see plastic ferrules. Where could I get one?

Thanks again,
Donk

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
donk said:
Thanks for the replies.
1st - I don't see how one of the braided supply tubes will fit into my brass valve with compression fittings. They all seem to have threaded connections?

Your supply stop has male threads. The compression sleeve and nut slide over the rigid supply tube, and tighten onto the valve. The gray poly tubes are substandard. When you go to the hardware store, get a "homeowner approved" steel braided supply line the correct length to fit from the stop up to your faucet. This style of supply line has a 1/2 inch nut at each end. The supply line will have 3 different adapters to choose from so you can make the connection to the stop, (depending on what size it is).

Do yourself a favor and replace the poly tubes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piipe

Throw the plastic one away, (also the small nut and ferrule), and get a good stainless steel "hose" that attaches directly to the valve without the nut, and without the "Mickey Mouse" adapters.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
Throw the plastic one away, (also the small nut and ferrule), and get a good stainless steel "hose" that attaches directly to the valve without the nut, and without the "Mickey Mouse" adapters.

You must not know what I'm talking about. There is nothing MM about the adapters im speaking of. They are simply brass bushings that fit in the end of the supply line that allow for the different size stops that a person may encounter.

My guess is he has the standard 3/8 stop, but I don't want to assume that and cause him another trip to the store.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
New cold line under sink

I have to agree with hj to use the braided line and delete the plastic, they hook up to the valve without any ferrule, but if you want to use the "plastic line" you will have to use a plastic ferrule; your call, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Usually if you go and request "faucet supplies" for the braided lines they come with 1/2" FIP on one end and 3/8" compression (female) on the other - that fits most standard residential units...

donk

Reaction score
OK guys. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go with a braided pipe - as long as it will screw onto the bottom of my faucet's cold water inlet - which I'm guessing is 1/2 inch threaded.
I'm just gathering the info and working up to this job (installing an ice maker in my fridge). I'm not much experienced in plumbing and don't wanna have any emergencies or disasters. So I'm being really cautious. :)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
donk said:
OK guys. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go with a braided pipe - as long as it will screw onto the bottom of my faucet's cold water inlet - which I'm guessing is 1/2 inch threaded.
You must be careful on selecting the braided flexible connector.

HD has started selling a flexible connection with PLASTIC braid that is colored to look like stainless. I suspect that it is next to useless and is there only to deceive unsespecting DIYers who will not discover that it is not stainless until the install it, or when it ruptures.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
donk said:
I'll definitely go with a braided pipe - as long as it will screw onto the bottom of my faucet's cold water inlet - which I'm guessing is 1/2 inch threaded.

If you look at the connection at the bottom of your faucet, you are likely going to see a 3/8" tube going into a nut (possibly with wings for finger tightening) that is much larger than the compression nut down at your valve, and that is because there is a "bulb" or whatever it might be called at that top end of your supply line. So, the new line you need will have a regular-sized compression connection at the end for attachment to the supply valve, and it will have the larger compression nut around the integral "bulb" that seals against the bottom edge of your faucet connection.

Last edited:

donk

Reaction score
>>> HD has started selling a flexible connection with PLASTIC braid that is >>>colored to look like stainless.

OK, I'll watch out for this.

>>>If you look at the connection at the bottom of your faucet, you are likely >>>going to see a 3/8" tube going into a nut (possibly with wings for finger >>>tightening) that is much larger than the compression nut down at your >>>valve, and that is because there is a "bulb" or whatever it might be called at >>>that top end of your supply line.

Yep, that's exactly what's under there now. I was going to leave that plastic supply pipe until you guys told me that the braided line is better and easier to install.
Thx.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks