PEX and spray polyurethane foam...

Users who are viewing this thread

mikepdaviskc

Reaction score
I like to use Polyurethane foam (Great Stuff, etc.) to fill pipe penetrations. Is there any reason to be concerned about it damaging PEX while it cures. There are warnings on PEX about contact with chemicals. I've googled this and not found any warnings but I would appreciate it if someone who has seen PEX in contact with foam with no problems give me the OK.

Thanks,
Mike

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Pex is known and formulated for its chemical stability. If you're worried about it then just wrap it with a walmart bag or tape or even aluminum foil...then squirt in the great stuff.

tviapiano

Reaction score
Ask DOW

Try sending a message to DOW with your question:
http://greatstuff.dow.com/

Go to "Contact Us" and there is a form you can fill out and ask a question.

I recently submitted a question asking if it was recommended to use greatstuff to fill the gaps in hydronic heat pipe penetrations, and they got back to me in a day or two - and said it was fine as long as the temp was under, I think, 240 F.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks