Plastic to Metal connection leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom M.

Reaction score
I have an ABS 1 1/2 inch Plastic Pipe that is flared at the end. It is connected to a threaded Metal Pipe by a threaded 1 1/2 inch Metal Washer. When putting in a new garbage disposal i caused a leak in the connection. There was no plastic "washer" inside the connection for 15 years, so I am assuming it isn't necessary. I tried some teflon tape on the metal threads but it is still leaking. Is there some sort of "putty" or goop that will fix the leak. Thanks.

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Can you PLEASE give pictures?

I have never seen Flaired plastic pipe.... I love to see new stuff.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out "threaded washer"? Not making fun of you...just trying to get on level communications ground. I'd bet you're talking about a beveled end of 1 1/2 drain pipe and a slip joint nut. Defintely could help alot better with pictures. If you've got a leak on a threaded pipe then pipe joint compound is a good sealer. If it's in a slip joint you can sometimes substitute a few wrappings of kite string or something like that which I have done and coated with pipe joint compound... as packing..then tighten the nut to make a compression seal.

Last edited:

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Randyj said:
I'm trying to figure out "threaded washer"? Not making fun of you...just trying to get on level communications ground. I'd bet you're talking about a beveled end of 1 1/2 drain pipe and a slip joint nut.
I wasn't trying to make fun eather.... I always see new things and look forward to learning. I suspect that randy is probably right but I hope that you'll show me something new.

dances-with-pumps

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
"Should be" is a common phrase I use when doing repairs in lotsa houses.

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a metal pipe sticking out that you have a pvc P-trap attached to through slip nuts and fittings then look closely at the metal parts.... is it smooth?..... you have to look closely... do you think that the plastic part going to metal will hold water?

If not you may need to replace the nipple, or file down the sealing parts.

is this what your dealing with?????

good luck

dances-with-pumps

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

The "flared" end of the PVC/ABS drain pipe is not made to connect to a metal pipe. It mates with a corresponding inverted flare on a trap or drain tee. The connection to the metal pipe is supposed to be with a brass fitting that goes by different names depending on where you are located. That brass adapter has a metal nut, (not washer), and washer/ferrule to seal the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks