New Challenge?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaryHelen

Reaction score
OK, I'm new here with a real challenge for all you plumbing pros --- I'm a dog groomer and have my shop in my garage. My husband and I built a small grooming shop last year complete with a cast iron tub raised so that I don't have to stoop over to bathe the dogs. We installed the tub so that the drainage would go into a field line in the outer backyard away from the garage & house. The garage is obviously a detached one. At any rate, all has been well for about a year when I noticed this week (after much rain) that my drain was not draining fast enough. I checked for hair clogs -- everything clear -- but when I went outside to check the pipe I noticed there was a lot of water pooled around the outside pipe going into the ground. My guess is that the yard is so saturated from the rain that the runoff from the tub was backing up. I'm a small shop and only groom about 7 dogs a day / 4.5 days a week so we didn't think it was necessary to add a septic tank or tie into the sewer line. Now we're rethinking. I live in a subdivision with city sewer. What would your recommendations be? Add a small septic tank (if restrictions allow) or tie into the sewer line via a grinder pump? I'm trying to do the most economical way as well but willing to spend what I need to do the right thing and the right way. Would like some imput. Thanks:rolleyes:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drainage

If you have city sewers you will not be able to install a small septic system, even if it were cost effective to do so. without seeing your installation we cannot even guess which would be the best way to make a proper drain connection, but given the fact that it will have to handle a lot of hair, I would think a pump would be the least desirable way.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
MaryHelen said:
My guess is that the yard is so saturated from the rain that the runoff from the tub was backing up ... we didn't think it was necessary to add a septic tank or tie into the sewer line ... I'm trying to do the most economical way as well but willing to spend what I need to do the right thing and the right way ...

In the county where I happen to live, you would definitely want to talk with a tight-lipped plumber -- maybe they all are -- well before ever heading down to the local "permit palace" to even ask a few questions. Around here, nothing at all goes either onto or into the ground until after many dollars have been spent.

Maybe folks could just set their dogs outside rather than bringing them to you when it is raining, but no, that would probably not do. So, you might just casually ask your clients if any of their uncles happen to be plumbers ...

MaryHelen

Reaction score
Thanks guys -- we're already on a grinder pump system. Our exisiting pump is located just outside the house where our 2.5 bathrooms drain into it and then it pumps to the street. We have talked to a friend that recommended a mini grinder pump outside my shop which would pump to a "T" that would then go into the larger grinder pump at the house. What do you think?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
MaryHelen said:
Thanks guys -- we're already on a grinder pump system. Our exisiting pump is located just outside the house where our 2.5 bathrooms drain into it and then it pumps to the street. We have talked to a friend that recommended a mini grinder pump outside my shop which would pump to a "T" that would then go into the larger grinder pump at the house. What do you think?

While assuming the mini grinder would be for dealing with hair, I must say I know nothing about that kind of process. But if such a pump would do as you need, the next question here where I happen to live would be that of a commercial operation being pumped into a residential connection. Some folks across the street at our previous residence here had a similar setup with a grooming shop next to their house, and even though it had been there for many years before the city sewer reached that far into the county, they still had to suddenly somehow deal with zoning and hookup issues.

Personally? In your low-impact situation, I would just be sure of whatever actually works and is not going to clog the sewer and make it happen, but I would either do that work behind a fence like mine or at some particular time (such as a long holiday) when you are fairly sure the folks at the palace would just as soon not be bothered anyway.

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Wellllll................. Odviously there wasn't much code inforcment it they alowed a grey water drain field the first time........... You've got a grade issue or you wouldn't be pumping............

Get your drain to bigger pipes as quick as possable. Get the waste off your property. (it may not be proper to keep it there) Once it's off your property it's the city's problem.... your small operation won't cause a problem with them.

It's always better to get permits because that way you know that your plumber is doing the job right..... A good plumber is never afraid of an inspection........ but it's usually cheaper not to inspect.

good luck

dances-with-pumps

MaryHelen

Reaction score
Actually, I'm within codes -- haven't broken any rules/laws. I went before the city code committee before I was even allowed to open my business. In our city we can have small businesses in our home as long as no one objects (they may voice their objection at the committee meeting before the committee votes to okay or reject). We just assume that there wouldn't be a problem with what little water & hair would be going down the drain. Little did I know that my business would explode!!!:D I'm not complaining just needed an opinion as to what I should do. I've called a plumber to come over tomorrow to check out the situation and give me his recommendations. Thanks for all your help/opinions.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mary Helen... welcome to the world of dog grooming. I was in the pet shop business for 13 years and have definitely done my fair share of dog grooming.... very familiar with A-5's, Andi's, and Lucky Dog clippers!...also very familiar with having to clean out drains stopped up with dog hair as well as aquarium gravel. As for me... I would just hook the drain right into the rest of the plumbing as usual. It might be possible to run the drain into something like a floor sink with a strainer to pick out the hair and other things. I definitely would avoid dumping it on the ground or in a drainage field if you are on a sewer system....use the sewer! It is perfectly suited for dog grooming. Use a screen over the drain if necessary but do your best to keep the hair out of the drain. A few strands of hair caught on a bugger inside the pipes will collect lots of stuff and grow into a clog quick... you don't want that when you've got 10 or 12 dogs lined up on a Saturday at 10 in the morning! BTW I'm still itching from grooming our poodle yesterday!

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
I give my mutt a bath once a week and he hates it.... any advive on how to get him in the mood?

Yesterday I didn't want to take him for a walk.... It's raining... so I drive to the right place and out we go..... no out I go... he refused to get out of the Jeep..... the big baby... he held it for 14 hours for better weather....

the big baby

dances with pumps

is this the wronge site for this?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If he's a chow... he's naturally afraid of water. I forget the name of it but there is some stuff which has tryptophan in it that you can give a dog and is supposed to calm him down...think maybe it's called K-9 calm..... I have given roudy chows up to 6 benadryls and still was so afraid of them that I wouldn't cut their hair. Maybe some Jack Daniels would be a little more effective. Oh yeah, it helps if the water is warm and comfortable... ya know how stimulating it is when your gonads hit cold water? Dogs have the same issues with cold water....even if they're outside dogs. My silly ***** yard dog was out in the water yesterday and just sat down in it shoulder deep to get him a drink and chill out for a while...we're talking January and cold lake water.....

SP_A0071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
solsacre said:
I give my mutt a bath once a week and he hates it

I'm not sure if once a week bath is good for a dog.

I thought they developed an oil that blended with their fur to help keep them warm, repell water to a degree, and help them dry out quicker when they did get wet.

Maybe I am wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks