shallow well ?

Users who are viewing this thread

nimrod

master plumber
Reaction score
i am helping a older couple [in their 80's ] last week the point was plugged so we put some nu-well pellets in it , 2 times with blowing out the existing water out putting in a gallon then pellets then more water , i could fill the casing[1 1/4''] up and the water would go to the top and stay there for hours . i blew out the well and started it up and water was flowing great , 30-50 shutting off and the whole nine yards and all of a sudden alot of noise and the pump went into a bind . the point collasped and a couple of handfulls of gravel were in the pump . we pounded a new 1 1'4'' point down yesterday , we pumped water at about 31 ft [ 28' casing and a 3 ' point ]up to 40 psi or so [ the 1/4'' male by hoe bard fitting that went to the pressure switch was busted and i was holding it and some water was leaking so i assumed that that leak wouldnt allow it to shut off [ 1/2hp pump ]i went to get the fitting to replace the broken one . by the way the water was not that hard and had a .3 number for iron . the owners son was trying to get better water as this was the same as they had before as far as the iron but it was much softer , so we went another 3 ' down as we were right at some hard stuff , we broke thru the layer and almost have the whole point into the new vein , the water is even better .1-2 iron and even softer but it will only build up to 30 psi and wont shut off , water flows consistanly at 30 psi in the house . what is the problem ? pump is worn from gravel from earlier point [ pump is brand new 1/2hp 1 day old just had gravel from collasped point ] , we tempted fate and went to deep ? we are now down 32' with 3 ' point and the water is 10 feet from the top of casing . would a 3/4 hp help ?
thanks jim

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nimrod,
i would think that the nozzle in in the jet assembly is probably clogged. Take apart that pump and make sure there isn't anything clogging your impellers and at the same time clean out the jet assembly.

SAM

nimrod

master plumber
Reaction score
thanks for the info sam , do you think the impeller is damaged from the earlier gravel situation? , it didnt look bad , and i did have to clean out the gravel out of the jet assembly earlier. jim

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nimrod,
if your getting a good flow but its not building any more than 30 psi the nozzle in the jet is usualy the culprit. I would take it apart again. Check the impeller to see if there is any gravel lodged in it.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
The volutes of the impeller could have some rocks in them too, that can effect the pressure as well.

bob...

nimrod

master plumber
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys , it was gravel in the jet . wheb i took it apart the day before i had a young man who was assisting in the pounding process clean out the pumping chamber and i didnt check it , i should know better :D any way they have water and i was able to set it at 35 - 55 also :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks