Question about mixing 4 inch pipe types?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveL720

Reaction score
I have some cracks and holes in my sewer line leaving my house. I have exposed the parts that need replaced and have purchased what I think I need. I have a 4" 45 degree angle, a 4" coupler, a 2 foot section of 4" pvc pipe that I will cut down to what I need, and of course pvc glue. My question is, the new parts seem to be larger then the existing parts. The old 4" pipe says Type PSM ASTM D30334. The new 4" pipe says Type 1 SCH 40 ASTM D2665. I can tell the new parts are thicker but will these pieces fit when I cut out the broken section and use the new parts. My thinking was 4" fits with 4", but I don't want to find out the new coupler won't fit tightly over the older Type PSM 4" pipe. Please help before I jump in to this project. Thanks!

nimrod

master plumber
Reaction score
the pipe you bought is schedule 40 pvc the existing pipe you have is 3034 ,sdr35 also know as thin wall sewer pipe . you can mix the two with 4'' ferncos or go buy the right pipe , you will still need the fernco to complete the repair .

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
As long as the ID (inside diamater) is the same, and you line up the parts well it'll work great. but getting the right pipe or the proper bushings to "up size" the 3034 is better.

as long as the s*** goes down-hill and your not making a leak or a spot to catch "stuff"............. it'll work great.

good luck

dances-with-pumps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks