(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Water heater drain pan

  1. #1

    Default Water heater drain pan

    I am just wondering what you guys do to connect the vertical tailpiece/downspout to the galvanized water heater drain pan. The tailpiece is brass, but the pan is galvanized. Is it possible to solder the 2 together using acid flux and regular solder?


  2. #2
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005


    The T&P is 3/4 threaded brass that will accept a copper male adp. with soldered pipe going to a upright T with a 3" X 1.5" coupling bushed reduced down to 1" into the T. It needs a 2" air gap between 3" PVC and the copper. This is what is required where I am. They don't want the T&P going into the pan incase the T&P leaks the heater would be sitting in water.

  3. #3
    Plumbing Instructor Plumb or Die's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Southern BC Canada

    Default Yes, you can

    Yes you can solder it, just heat slowly to not overheat and blacken the galvanized pan. A always solder them, a buddy of mine silicones his.
    I like plumbing. Plumbing's my favorite.

  4. #4


    Thx for the ideas Plumb or Die


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts