Tricky toilet leak question;

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I have suspicions that my toilet is leaking but can't tell how much. It is a used toilet that i just re-installed into the bathrrom after replacing the floor. The install went great. I used a large wax riing that I appled to the toilet base first and then set the toilet down evenly onto the newly installed flange which is sitting on top of the floor as it should be. There was no rocking or shaking of the bowl to break the wax seal. I tightened the toilet flange bolts down and the toilet is sitting evenly without rocking on the floor. I noticed a small crack on the side of the base where it meets the floor (it is not coming from the flange bolt area). It feels like there is moisture near this crack but I haven't really seen any water pooling up. I am confused because it seems as if this part of the base is only structural and there are no water passageways near the outside of the base. Any ideas?
Also, the toilet sat outside for a night or two with about 2 " of water in the bowl, and I noticed the water froze in the bowl. I visually inspected the bowl and what parts of the trap-way that I could see from the top and bottom, and didn't see any leaks.
If the trapway were cracked where would I see the water collecting? The toilet is set on a linoleum floor and the linoleum goes underneath the new flange if this could effect you responses.

Thanks for your help,
Molo

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
OKIt's best to replace the toilet based on what you've told me...... If I looked at it I might have a diffrent opinion....

It Might be a bad seal, be sure that the toilet is set on a solid base, with a new ring that is thick enough for good compression....

cracked toilet? replace it.....

good luck

dances-with-pumps

Molo

Reaction score
I'll replace it ASAP. The installation was ideal, A new, level, subfloor that I installed, and a thick wax ring. The toilet went down evenly.
Bummer,
Molo

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you check the tank to bowl area for a leak?

I have seen them leak slightly and run down the back where you can't see any water running or driping. Also maybe a very slow drip off a tank bolt.

Molo

Reaction score
I'll check very closely again. Like I said there are wood shims under the back (temporarily until I get some plastic ones) and the shims go under the toilet and then the fat part of the shim is actuallly sticking up in the air. There is moisture on the parts up in the air so I can tell that they are wicking the moisture either from under the base or just where they contact the base before they are forced up into the air.

Molo

Pewterpower

Reaction score
You never said anything about shims, especially wood shims.
The fact that it is sitting on shims is probably exacerbating any crack it may, or may not have.
Given the fact that water actually froze in the bowl, I would say it's shot. We all know what happens when water freezes.......
In fact, yesterday I was cleaning up a mess from one of my idiot buddies that put a warm beer in the freezer, and then forgot about it.

Molo

Reaction score
This leak discovery might actually explain why I lifted the toilet in the first place.... The sub-floor was rotted terribly. I had thought that it was from years of the shower curtain not being tucked into the shower, but then rot patterns began too change my mind. How could a toileet get cracked sitting in place like that?

TIA,
Molo

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crack

It might not have. I have seen toilets that when you look underneath them there is a spot that the manufacturer "patched" and the patch came loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks